HybridZ

LT1 Freeze plugs

Hello fellas, rather simple problem but I just haven't been able to find these darn plugs. Anyways, I am sure someone is going to flame me for posting this but I just haven't been able to get any help from my GM dealer parts guy. I ordered some freeze plugs from the dealer for my 95 LT1 engine, the parts guys says he has all the plugs for the engine. Well, he didn't, I am missing the two plugs that goes in the oil galley just above the cam openning front side behind the timing chain. Their are 3 plugs there, two are slightly bigger and one is a common size so that was no big deal. I measured these and they mearsure approximately .56" or very close to it. If you guys have any idea where I can get these I would appreciate it.

Additionally, there were a couple of freeze plugs that got in the set sent from the dealer that had a little hole in it. I do have a book but it didn't describe any plugs with a hole. I am assuming the are used for some kind of a pressure release deal. Anyways, needless to say I didn't use them, good thing I noticed the little hole, it would have sucked if I missed catching them and jam them in and button everything up. Would have been a b*tch to figure out.

Thanks again if you could help me with this small problem.

O, this is a 383 LT1 with T56 going into a 72 240z real soon, just need to put engine together.

• Administrators

Did someone just say "freeze plug"? shock.gif

I’m known around here for getting my panties in a wad when core plugs are erroneously referred to as "freeze plugs". Honest mistake, we all made it at one time. Now you know, they are not freeze plugs and offer no insurance if the coolant/water freezes in the block. wink.gif They are core plugs, soft plugs, etc. (there is another thread on this topic here somewhere...)

What you are you are referring to are the oil galley plugs. Go to any performance oriented automotive machine shop and they should have exactly what you need on hand.

As for the plugs with the tiny holes, were those oil galley plugs or core plugs for the coolant cavities?

Some times in performance/racing applications, builders will drill a tiny hole in the main galley plug under the timing cover in an effort to get oil flow to the lower end a little quicker on initial start up. How that works is the hole allows the air in the oil system to escape quickly which in turn allows the pump to fill oil galleys quicker with oil thereby pressuring the system quicker. The hole is small enough it does not adversely affect oil pressure or flow to the engine once oil pressure has been established and is quoted as also helping lubricate the timing chain at the same time, more important for cars that only accelerate robustly, i.e. dedicated strip cars where the oil is flung to the back of the engine while in hard working operation. cool.gif

Hope that helps,

Paul

Did someone just say "freeze plug"? shock.gif

I’m known around here for getting my panties in a wad when core plugs are erroneously referred to as "freeze plugs". Honest mistake, we all made it at one time. Now you know, they are not freeze plugs and offer no insurance if the coolant/water freezes in the block. wink.gif They are core plugs, soft plugs, etc. (there is another thread on this topic here somewhere...)

What you are you are referring to are the oil galley plugs. Go to any performance oriented automotive machine shop and they should have exactly what you need on hand.

As for the plugs with the tiny holes, were those oil galley plugs or core plugs for the coolant cavities?

Some times in performance/racing applications, builders will drill a tiny hole in the main galley plug under the timing cover in an effort to get oil flow to the lower end a little quicker on initial start up. How that works is the hole allows the air in the oil system to escape quickly which in turn allows the pump to fill oil galleys quicker with oil thereby pressuring the system quicker. The hole is small enough it does not adversely affect oil pressure or flow to the engine once oil pressure has been established and is quoted as also helping lubricate the timing chain at the same time, more important for cars that only accelerate robustly, i.e. dedicated strip cars where the oil is flung to the back of the engine while in hard working operation. cool.gif

Hope that helps,

Paul

And BRAAP Quixote remains true to his heart, fighting for technical accuracy against overwhelming odds... :cheers:

~