HybridZ

How do you change the idiot light???

I have a charging system problem and I elimintated the posibility that it was the alternator, and internally my stock liniear voltage regulater looks brand new. But I'm finding out that the idiot(alternator)light is a serious part of the priming system for the alternator. So do I take the little screw out from above the speedo gauge and pull the instriment out that way(cuz it aint wanting to come out) or do I have to dig under the dash(which conector would it be?)? Also my voltage regulator has two wires white/blue and whit/red where black/white and black/yellow should be and because they're not the same I don't know which one is which. Also am I correct in saying the yellow wire to the alt from the regulator is the rotor power and the white/black is the stator ground(I got these mixed up when I disconected the from the plastic plug.)? Thanks

• Administrators

Which car is this, 240-Z, 260/280-Z, or 280-ZX? When asking for advice such as this, each car has a different procedure so we need to know which car you are working one in order to help out.

Also, reference your shop manual, i.e. Haynes, Chilton, Clymer, Nissan manual etc. If you don’t have one, please get one.

For the 260/280-Z, remove the center dash panel, then remove the short piece of duct work that feeds the center vents. Now you can access the three small gauges. Each one is held in with a metal strap, one screw holds each metal strap.

Good luck,

it's a early 74' 260z and my Hayes manual wireing schematic says where it is in the wireing harness but says nothing in the whole book about where it is physically located or the procedure to replace it. I spent an hour taking my speedo out just to find out the light on it is for the ebrake. do you know which gauge the alternator light is mounted in?? or if it is located on the center console(this car has gone through some owners and some of the lights on the center console are gone)? Thanks, sorry about the lack of info.

• Administrators

Well, you car originally came with an “AMP” gauge that shows a negative or positive charge, (power leaving or going into the battery). The AMP gauge utilizes a “shunt”, sorry no light.

Unless someone installed a ‘76+ “volt” gauge with a charge light in it, there should be no light bulb.

Oh. huh. I'm retarded. My amp gauge is always showing negitive amps, But when I ground the stator, Jump a hot wire to the rotor and put my own old amp gauge between the stator output(power from alt) and the batery it shows I have like 30+amps. I took my voltage regulator out and lengthened all the wires to mount it somewhere more excesible and to see if I could find out my problem and I found the stator ground relay in it to not be working. soooo..... Could I take any Linear type external regulator from any car and wire it where the old one is??? Thank you Thank you Thank you http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc46/hondabait/74_260z_manual_wire2.gifIf any one wants a good 74 260Z wiring diagram schematic. coils.jpg