HybridZ

EDIS Settings Update

zbigtim

Guys,

While browsing the Megasquirt EFI Forum, I came across a post that was very helpful to me. I've been running MSII w/EDIS since May, and while I'm very happy with the setup, I was getting a hesitation under heavy acceleration that I assumed was a lean mixture. It turns out that I had the wrong "input Capture" setting for the EDIS. The Megamanual I have suggest that it should be set to "Falling Edge", when in fact the newly updated Manual shows "Rising Edge". After making this change, my Z runs beautifully, with no hesitation. It also helped some pre-detonation which I was trying to fix by retarding the timing.:)

Here are the links to the post and the updated EDIS Megamanual:

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=26403

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

On top of this problem I am having strange things happen when my electric fan is on with the engine off. If I turn the ignition on the megasquirt thinks its cranking due to the fan being right in front of the VR sensor.....needs some kind of shield or grounding the frame of the fan. I guess when the engine is running with the fan on it must be causing problems too.

maybe you could mount your fan in front of the rad. that's what I did.

if it is a metal cage fan try running a ground to the frame of the fan.

Are you triggering the fan through MS? are you triggering the hot wire or the neg wire. you should be triggering the neg wire and have the pos wire hot all the time.

Do you have the vr wires shielded all the way? I had to route mine away from everything. even with shielding. all these things fixed my fan inerferance.

On top of this problem I am having strange things happen when my electric fan is on with the engine off. If I turn the ignition on the megasquirt thinks its cranking due to the fan being right in front of the VR sensor.....needs some kind of shield or grounding the frame of the fan. I guess when the engine is running with the fan on it must be causing problems too.

I've had this problem on other ECUs that use the Ford VR sensor. Each time the fan turns on, the engine would stumble because the VR signal was interfered with. When the fan motor starts, a spike of EMI (electromagnetic interference) is generated. If the sensor is close to the fan motor, this will induce an unwanted signal into the VR sensor. Best thing to do is to move you fan away from the sensor. I found that within an inch, you will have interference. Move the fan so the fan motor is 3-4" away from sensor.

Well I had a chance to drive the car today. Took it to the gap.

boosted 15lbs a few times.

"FIXED!"

car ran excellent all day not a bump or skip.

on ther ride home there are a couple nice straights. flip the boost controller on high and blaze.

I ran the car harder than I ever have. no problems.

Thanks for passing this info along.

• Administrators
.....what if my edis trigger was wired the wron way to start with, would this have then worked better with falling edge setting in MS?

If the VR is wired in reverse, EDIS will not function at all.