HybridZ

What sand paper grit to prep vehcile for painting?

george.bryant

Hey everyone,

My Skyline's paint is in pretty crappy condition, its 23 years old and has had a rough life with weather conditions.

There is pretty much no gloss coat on the vehicle and has no real shine to it. I was to sand the old paint off and primer it so its ready for painting. I tried checking out the PPG website for tips but it's down.

What grit sand paper do I use? What order do I use each grit in and how many sheets of each should I roughly need? Do I do it with hand and us sanding blocks?

Will is be ok to use automotive spray can primer each I complete sanding each panel?

Thanks!

are you taking it down to bare metal or are you just gonna paint over the the old paint? i would start at 120 grit if your leaving the old paint on there, but if your goin to take it down to bare metal then i'd start at 40 grit.i would take it down to the metal and get each panel as straight and perfect as i could. and dont let it set in primer any longer then you have to. primer absorbes moistour out of the air. if you leave it in primer too long then your paint will start bubbling and crap later on down the road. if i was you then i would primer it then paint it with some rattle can semi flat black. i used this on the hood of my z and the color is very nice. kinda like a satin but not real shiny. i think it was krylon but not sure. but that way you could ride around as long as you needed untill you got the car painted and be worry free. then when you get it painted just block it wiith some 220, and the wipe it down with some cleaner. oh yea, you definately want to use a block fer the sanding. i would suggest that you got a book that you could read more about prep and paint fer cars. hope i didnt say anything that sounded too stupid!