HybridZ

cleaned connectors, now MORE rich??

so, the other day i cleaned my water temp sensor wires with vinegar to get off the corrosion. worked great, but now my car's flooding and i can't get her to start at all. unfortunatly, i can't get a multimeter till tommorow, but what happened? everything worked fine, then all of a sudden i can't get it to start, and the plugs are soaked in gas. it gets good fuel pressure (from what i could tell, it was rich because of bad connections, but ran awesome) now it won't start. what's the resistance value of the plug itself, going to the ecu? i know where i can find the values for the water temp sensor, and i know that's good because i just popped it in last week. i've cleaned off all the corrosion with an oring pick, but it made basically no change. there aren't any leaks either

The connectors could be so brittle that the connection finally broke on the inside (or the harness to that connector).

At least that's what happened to my CHTS and was causing the same symptoms when I was on stock electronics. A multimeter would help immensely right now, and without it it's all speculation.

Mario

I checked the water temp sensor at the ECU per the efi bible, it's perfect, exactly what it should be reading (around 1980ohms)

so, i was holding my foot to the floor, and it had a very slight amount of life, but never enough to start, and it sorta pulses like vro-vrvrvrv-vro-vrvrvr

but never enough to get it to start. sounded weak too. for a short time i ALMOST got it to start. It won't even start on starter fluid (with the fuel pump/fuel lines disconnected) SO i have a VERY strong feeling....

that my plugs are totally fuel fouled/shot.

especially because after a while of all that, it didn't even try to start. i did pull a plug out and set it on the fender to ground it, and it was sparking very well, but, under compression, it's harder for that little plug to spark. i'm gonna bet that it was a very sad coincidence that the plugs fouled out to that point after i cleaned it more. does that sound plausible?

tonight i decided to check some things. i have good spark. i hooked a plug to the coil and cranked it. nice big blue spark.

for the hell of it, i decided to unhook the afm from the throttle body just enough to see what happend. well, it leaned out obviously. could my afm be bad? is it possible that it has worn out over the years and now the spring is weaker? i know these usually have an a/f ratio screw on it, but on the place where it would be, is a cap that looks epoxied in. is there a screw under that?

my AFM was for a mid 80's MR2 NO WONDER WHY IT DIDN"T WORK

it had also popped out of adjustment from the backfire (from being lean) thus causing it to be even more loose. I could suck it full open WITH MY MOUTH

that's not normal

I tightened up the adjustment on it till it worked, but i went to far and made it run lean enough to overheat (doh!) i'm going to fix it tommorow. should be pretty easy to readjust now that i've become familiar with the internals