HybridZ

need some more help,z31 ecu swap problems

username

i have an late 82 zxt, 100% stock engine.

i modified the harness for the 87 z31 ecu, chopper wheel, mas and o2s(i have the 87 o2s).

all the connections are soldered and shrink wrapped.

the following are brand new parts;coil, spark plugs and wires, cyl head temp sensor(oem), cap,rotor, and a new msd 4 pin connector that replaced a damaged dist connector. the fuel pump and psi reg are also new.

the fuel pump is on its own 30 amp relay.

i removed and cleaned all the pins on all the sensor connectors , coil and ptu.

now, the problem.

it will start, sputter, pop, hiss, and stall a few times before it will stay running.

once the o2s is warm enough it starts to run better, and once the engine is at operating temp is idles smooth, no missing, right at 1000rpm.

once you move the throttle any amount( crack it, WOT or anywhere in between) it will rev and start to sort of hunt.

in other words, i hold the throttle steady, the rpms go up and down very rapidly and completly randomly. it may rev to 1500 and die down, then rev to 4000 or 2500, all the while i am holding the throttle steady.

i have checked resistance in all the wires for the ignition, mas, CAS, CHTS, and power supplies at the ecu, mas, cas, tps.

the chts is right the money ohm wise.

i cant find any info on the mas resistance numbers, so if any one has those handy i would apprriciate those numbers.

and please throw some ideas at me. i have tried everything. i even bought a spaer 87zxt ecu(its an auto though) and it does the same thing, even at idle because it tries to idle at about 1500rpm for some reason( i assume becasue of diff fuel maps for the auto trans). i also have 3 mas that i have swapped out to try and fix this. no luck.

i was thinking of buying a 84-86 ecu and o2s and see if that will help.

any thoughts?

thanks

tony

Sounds like your maf, shoot me an email and i send you an ecopy of an 86 z31 fsm that covers maf and how to test...watching the bears game right now and too lazy to look up the info and you may need the manual....kashill@sbcglobal.net