HybridZ

Koni 86-1918 shock question

When I bought my z, the previous owner had started installing a set of these shocks in the back. He did one side and I need to install the other.

The box says they are adjustable, but there are no instructions. Anyone know how to adjust them?

Can I tell from the outside how the one that is already installed is adjusted or will I need to pull it out to check it?

Thanks for any help.

For the RED Koni shocks, the procedure is:

1. Remove the strut from the car, remove the spring.

2. Fully collapse the shock absorber at the same time turning the piston rod slowly TO THE LEFT (anti-clockwise) until it is felt that the cams of the adjusting nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly. The damper may have already been adjusted. Therefore check whether the shock absorber is in the unadjusted position or not by keeping it collapsed and gently turning farther TO THE LEFT counting at the same time the half turns until a stop is felt. Stop turning then and DO NOT USE FORCE.

3. Keeping the shock absorber collapsed make 2 half turns (360 degrees) TO THE RIGHT (clockwise). In case of prior adjustment add the number of half turns previously found. The total range is about 5 half turns.

4. Pull the shock absorber out vertically WITHOUT TURNING for at least 1 cm to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The piston rod may now be turned freely.

N.B. Adjustment must always be carried out in pairs, and for the same amount.