HybridZ

Nismo Crank Shaft question

Shuyun

12201-N3120 was the 'Sports Option' 79mm stroke crank that was originally made for the LY Crossflow 'kit' ( following on from the 12200-N3120 ).

It is made from better steel than the stock cranks, and had improved surface hardening treatment. They were cross-drilled and screw-plugged, and had an extra bolt hole at the flywheel end ( so you have to mate them with the Sports Option flywheels ).

They also had narrower rod journals than the standard cranks ( due to the larger journal edge radius - intended to improve strength ) so you need to use the 12100-N3120 rods and their narrower bearings. 'Normal' sized rods won't fit.

I have one of these cranks hibernating in my loft space. I'm trying to get it to mate with a standard L24 crank and make babies. No luck so far......

I heard that the mating rituals of the Nismo crank are very secretive and complex, but I believe that revving to 9000rpm while "above atmospheric" pressures are present... ;)

so pretty much by itself its useless without the rest of this "kit"? seems rather odd of nissan to do...or genius?

so pretty much by itself its useless without the rest of this "kit"? seems rather odd of nissan to do...or genius?

Well, not that "odd" really. You could use this crank for a 'normal' non-crossflow engine as long as you used the correct rods, bearings and flywheel.

There were other Nissan 'Sports Option' cranks available too of course.....

....and had an extra bolt hole at the flywheel end ( so you have to mate them with the Sports Option flywheels )

That solved a small mystery for me. In the Wangan Midnight PS2 trailer there is a glimpse of a flywheel with 7 bolt holes instead of the usual 6. Always wondered about that flywheel.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=3353582178439412350&q=wangan+midnight+ps2&total=23&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

That's a video of the trailer I am talking about. You can catch a glimpse of the 7 bolt hole flywheel at around 1:21