HybridZ

how do i identiify a 700r4 by looking at it in the car???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i went to a local pick a part today looking for a 700r4...i found a few pontiac firbirds and trans ams with v8s.....like 82-90'...do these cars definetly have 700r4's????...did they allso come with turbo 350's???....i need to make sure im getting a 4 speed...dont want to pull a 3 speed by mistake....any help is appreciated...jim

I'ld stay away from the early 80's 700r4's; there were so many updates on those trans they are more of a mutant trans than the later 80's trans. The ealier Bulletins included anything from front pumps, to valves & their shift solenoids.

If you're looking for a 700; look in the cars ranging from 87-91. I believe it was 92 when GM went to the Electronic controlled 700; so stay away from the 92's and forward.

I worked for GMPP (General Motors Protection Plan) from the late 80's to 92. Believe me; there were so many complaints on the earlier trans that the dealers couldnt keep up; there must have been at least 30 separate GM Bulletins on the 700r4 alone!

Granted the trans should've been corrected-under warranty or by the customer by the time the car has found its way to the salvage yard-but I'ld personally stay away from the earlier years.

Just my .02c's worth.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)