HybridZ

5600rpm stall?

Thumper

Ok i'm a newb when it comes to stall's. My friend has a buick grand national with lots of work done to it. Its almost a full stage 2 engine with a medium/large turbo. I'm not looking for an exact stall he should run but I was wondering does a 5600rpm stall sound to high? From what i've read you want the stall to be slightly lower than his tq peak? I seriously doubt his tq peak is that high but not sure.

Also to make sure I know what a stall is, his car launches at 5500rpms and stays there roughly (up and down 200rpms when it shifts) the whole trip down the 1/4. This doesn't sound right to me but i'm no expert so before I talk to him I would like some info so I sound smart. Key word sound... Thanks

P.S. He is very knowledgeable into cars so I doubt he made this obvious of a mistake so please look at all the angles and ask all the questions you want. Thanks for your time.

Either he thinks he is knowledgable :D or you heard him wrong. I can se a Buick Stage 2 engine (note I did not say GN engine) having a 5600 stall but I would expect him to be shifting at 8000 since 5600 is out of the peak power band. A stage 2 engine needing a 5600 stall is probably making north of 1000hp. Now, a GN engine with a 3600 stall and shifting around 5600 is dead-on.

Hard to say what stall you need for the GTO, but it is not 5600. I would say more like 3000 but this is where you call the manufacturer and tell them details of the car and purpose and they help determine the correct stall. Keep in mind that a converter manufacturer should allow 1 or 2 free restalls in the event it is not right the first time. See what guys on the GTO forums with similar setups says works.

Dont let a turbo guy recommend a converter for an N/A. 2 completely different worlds.

Either he thinks he is knowledgable :D or you heard him wrong. I can se a Buick Stage 2 engine (note I did not say GN engine) having a 5600 stall but I would expect him to be shifting at 8000 since 5600 is out of the peak power band. A stage 2 engine needing a 5600 stall is probably making north of 1000hp. Now, a GN engine with a 3600 stall and shifting around 5600 is dead-on.

Hard to say what stall you need for the GTO, but it is not 5600. I would say more like 3000 but this is where you call the manufacturer and tell them details of the car and purpose and they help determine the correct stall. Keep in mind that a converter manufacturer should allow 1 or 2 free restalls in the event it is not right the first time. See what guys on the GTO forums with similar setups says works.

Dont let a turbo guy recommend a converter for an N/A. 2 completely different worlds.

Thanks for info. My gto is a 6sp so i'm not looking for a stall for my car but trying to help out my friend with his gn motor. It sounds like he has too high of a stall on his car but before I tell him its too big I would like to know for a fact. Thanks

Sorry about that.

First need to figure out just what engine is in that GN. If he has a Stage 2 then he either paid BIG buck$ for ot and the install or he paid big buck$ for the car if it was already installed. You do not mistake a Stage 2 with a big turbo since you would have to pull 2 spark plugs to prevent it from making 600hp :D.

Sounds like a standard GN engine but a 5600 stall is unbelivable or he has a busted converter. Have him drive the car at about 15mph then floor it and whatever the RPM flashes up to is close to the stall. If it does go way up there, I would pull it out.

Sorry about that.

First need to figure out just what engine is in that GN. If he has a Stage 2 then he either paid BIG buck$ for ot and the install or he paid big buck$ for the car if it was already installed. You do not mistake a Stage 2 with a big turbo since you would have to pull 2 spark plugs to prevent it from making 600hp :D.

Sounds like a standard GN engine but a 5600 stall is unbelivable or he has a busted converter. Have him drive the car at about 15mph then floor it and whatever the RPM flashes up to is close to the stall. If it does go way up there, I would pull it out.

I call it a stage 1.5 it is a 4-bolt just like a stage 2 but all this and that. Basically its a built up stage 1.

Well sunday night he blew a headgasket and did some damage because of a faulty injector. He is tired of things going wrong on the car so he might be parting it out.

The stall was suppose to be a 3500-3600 but he says but it is way too loose. He bought it used from someone else something he will never do again. Running only 17lbs of boost and the bad injector he got a 12.0 @ 109mph before the headgasket blew. Funny thing is his knock sensor wasn't going crazy just normal valvetrain noise... Thanks