HybridZ

My L6 and advice where to go...

janaka

Well I've had my Z for almost a year now (its been an awesome ride so far!) and like any car you find it not being 'enough' as it is.

my current car is a '76 280Z with the following modifications when I bought it.

Block F54 -The block was professionally boiled and cylinders honed. New- piston rings, crankshaft bearings, oil pump, timing gear and chain kit, water pump, freeze plugs, gaskets and seals, hoses and belt

Head P79 [resurfaced head, 3 angle valve grind, rocker arms, lash pads, springs and retainers, seals. (8.8:1 CR)]

Schneider cam- .460 valve lift, 270 intake duration, 280 exhaust duration

Dual domed top 4 screw SU carbs- rebuilt, performance needles and nozzles.

N33 carb intake manifolds.

K&N air filter.

MSA 6 into 1 header.

MSA 2.5 inch aluminized performance exhaust with super turbo muffler.

5spd manual with 3.90:1 rear end R200

this car put down 162RWHP and 162RWTQ this spring and tracked a 15.3@89.9MPH with a 2.0 60' time.

This car is my 'fun' car. I take it for my sales calls on fridays and saturdays if its nice out and for the odd evening during the week. Its my weekend fun toy really :) My wife will take it on the odd day to work as well as doing car cruises, car shows etc with it.

For what it is its ok. I'm looking for more though.

I've got some spending money set aside for the increase in power already.

I was looking at a SBC option but when I put together my budget for it I was nearing $10k...and well thats more than I paid for the car ;)

I could stand to spend in the neighborhood of $5k and be ok with that for a good bump in power. With that type of budget what would a realistic build/mod would you suggest. I've spend literally hours reading on this and classicZcar and am looking for some 3rd party opinions.

I'd love a low 13sec car in the 1/4mile but not sure how plausible that is with my budget.

Is there work that can be done with my current setup to get me to that kind of goal? or is it a start from scratch and try again type situation (L6 turbo)?

thoughts/comments?

Sounds like a nice car. Personally I think the best bang for the buck will be the Turbo swap. From what Ive read a stock trubo motor will drop you to the mid 14's in a stock coupe. You can easily ~ 200+ hp from the stock motor and you should be able to stay in your budget if your careful.

There is a ton of info here on turbo swaps.

Ok I appreciate that feedback.

Now would it make more sense to just buy an entire L28ET or do I just swap out the flattop pistons I have in my F54 for dished to lower the CR from 8.8:1 to something like 8:0 and get a P90 head + turbo mani/intake, IC and those add ons?

Again, input is appreciated.

Jason