HybridZ

Q45 brake upgrade with 5 lug conversion

I would definitely be interested in more insight on this topic. I am thinking about Cobra R caliper/rotor combo up front and I think I am going to need more than a 11" rotor on the rear to balance things out . . . (and yes, I do know this is gross overkill, but overkill is FUN).

Ok-

I did a bit of research and it does not look like the Q45 brakes provide much of an upgrade over the MM package. The MM package uses the 240sx rear caliper with the Q45 rear rotors. The only advantage of a Q45 caliper is that it has a slightly larger piston (and theorhetically more clamping force), but total pad area is actually sightly less.

Here are the specs for your reference:

MM 11.4" Rear kit

Rotor = 289mm x 9mm

Caliper = Single Piston Sliding

Pad = 39.10 sq. cm (85mm x 46mm)

1996 240sx Rear

Rotor= 258mm x 9mm

Caliper = Single piston sliding caliper

Pad = 39.10 sq. cm (85mm x 46mm)

1996 Q45 Rear

Rotor = 289mm x 9mm

Caliper = Single Piston Sliding

Pad = 38.15 sq.cm (109mm x 35mm)

1996 300zxtt Rear

Rotor = 297mm x 18mm (vented)

Caliper = 2 piston fixed

Pads = 40.15 sq.cm (73mm x 55mm)

1987 300zxt Rear

Rotor = 281mm x 18mm (vented)

Calipers = single piston sliding

Pads = 39.10 sq.cm (84mm x 46mm)

The 300zxt caliper/rotor combination with the MM caliper adapters might be an option if you need more cooling, from the photos the calipers look pretty similar to 240sx calipers (and they use a cable-operated caliper-based parking brake) . . .

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, So I try to bolt everything together and there is a snag. While the 96 Q45 has the same outer dimensions it is different on the hat. The hat is way too tall for the caliper to bolt on. I will have to search around and find the correct rotor to use with MMS 240sx caliper bracket. I know the 99 Q45 has a shorter hat but the overall size is larger. 292mm instead of the 289 as listed on the MMS website. Anybody know which rotor to use?

There are many online parts suppliers that will sell you some Z31 Rotors. I just got some from buyautoparts.com. Great shipping, and decent prices.

Here are the rotors you were looking for (at least I believe they are the right ones.) http://www.buyautoparts.com/addtocarts/1984-Nissan-300ZX/300~ZX2~001/N/Brake_Disc.html

Not bad, 33 bucks for Brembos.

I was just looking at the pictures, the rotors for an 84' non turbo are 4 lugs. I thought you were going 5 lugs?