HybridZ

280ZX chevy motor mount alterations/opinions sought

Howdy all, I'm going to be doing some mods on my beast shortly. One of which involved lowering my engine 3/4-1" in my engine bay by a change to my motor mount/spacer setup.

I attached a pic that I hope is discernible.

Current setup has a chevy motor mount bolted right to my xmember, the mount then has bolts that pass right thru ~3" of spacer (1" alum. plates) to thread into the engine block. It's a very simple straight thru/perfect alignment that works v. well. Their is a 'tab' on the top of the motor mount that 'hugs' the top of the 'horn' of my crossmember very well to resist excess motion and restrain the engine laterally (rubber in middle of engine motor mount) or that's how I see it anyhow.

I see two options for lowering it as mentioned:

-slot current motor mounting hole in xmember downward the 0.82" for the single large bolt that threads into the motor mount and I'd have to grind off the 'tab' at the top of the motor mount so it could 'slide' down the 'horn' 0.8" the centreline will shift.

-create an offset spacer mount with inset bolts going from spacer to engine and a 2nd set of bolt threads for the motor mount (as this common pattern would now be offset by 0.8") and then bolt the motor mount in the 'current' as is position and use the offset built into the 'new' spacer setup to accomodate the drop in engine

-3rd would be mock it all up and just weld a spacer setup etc but welding isn't a skill of mine or particularly how I'd like this done either...

pros/cons and any other ideers? thanks!

back to my studying

mtrmnt.jpg

PS I didn't know the graphic would show up this large, might be simplest to print if you have a small screen as I do.

I'm uncertain how important that top 'tab' on the motor mount hugging my xmember horn is as it doesn't really restrain the motor IMO from going anywhere it shouldn't.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

That tab shouldn't be needed if the bolt or stud from the motor mount is there.

That said, I'd grind off the tab and slot the hole, if you have enough room. If not enough room, then add (weld) some plate on top of the horn that extends down/inward farther to provide another hold down lower/inward and take the plate thickness out of the spacer. Gusset the sides of the plate to the sides of the horn.

Heck, you could weld a steel spacer to the horn that didn't extend up as high as the existing one, to provide a place for the "tab" if you wanted to keep it.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Thanks Pete. That ditto's what Drax said in prior discussion. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ignoring anything as that appears to be the easiest route. Drax/Rich had also mentioned welding the tab/you mech's think alike smile.gif having consensus from 3 hybrid eng's give's that the go ahead smile.gif (obviously other ideers/opinions still welcome/it'll be a week or so till I get to this at the earliest)

I'll start a new thread on actual motor mount choice.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

[This message has been edited by Ross C (edited April 18, 2001).]