HybridZ

260z stroker

zrevival

I've read with new interest the huge amount of information on the L28 stroker engine - and have i'm also investigating other options that are possible using the LD28 crankshaft.

I've just purchased a 260z with an original motor that has been reconditioned not that long ago. I've decided to make a circuit racer out of it - but want to do this in 2 stages. The first stage concentrating on suspension, brakes and the propobably making the most of the 260 motor already there. The next stage being a L28 motor with 'the works' that has been well documented within this forum

My question is has anybody used the 260z/LD28 combination? The ozdat engine design utility site tells me that the 260 rods/LD28 will give me a perfect square bore ratio (1:1) which by all accounts is fantastic for producing revs.

However (obviosuly) - this will produce a longer stroke and cause problems with the piston/head. Given that the 260z pistons have a very large bowl (7cc+) - could the tops of the pistons be machined back (2mm) - hence creating a much better comression ratio.

Also (lastly) there has been a number of indepth discussion on head choices for flat top l28's etc, but i haven't seen this combination discussed. Currently i have the choice between an N42 or E88 - or should i be looked for a P90??

I'm a newbie of this site and really interested on your feedback - cheers

Zrevival, I'd say go for it. I'd love to see something other than the L28 modified, but around here, you just won't find that information. I've been trying off and on for a while. Maybe someone will realize that not everyone is going to go for an L28, but i think you will be a pioneer in this field.

Don't let it discourage you, it hasn't me!

Certainly some interesting reading there. Clearly the L26 was not a big production motor in the States and therefore is not being used much.

Still keen to try the L26 though - yes i know the L28 will give me better yeilds.

My question really is about how much do i need to mill the L26 pistons if i'm using an LD28 crankshaft, L26 rods, and maybe a 2mm headgasket.

Thanks again - zrevival