HybridZ

Auto Tranny swap 5 speed

Guest Jrad280zx

Guest Jrad280zx

Hello all I'm new to this forum. I looked through the threads and didn't find much info on this topic. I can pick up a 1981 280zx non turbo with an automatic tranny for $800 bucks and it is in great shape. I really wanted a 5 speed but this is a great price for a running car in great condition. Is it extremely difficult and expensive to swap the automatic out for a 5 speed? I was also thinking about swapping the engine out for the stock turbo L28ET.

Does anybody have any idea of the cost and time involved in a project like this? Would I be better off spending a couple thousand more for a 5 speed with the L28ET? I'm not looking for crazy horespower, just dependable power around 200 at the wheels. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.

Sorry forgot to add parts needed. Don't know if same the for the 280zx.

Transmission (Ofcourse)

Clutch Pedal

Brake Pedal

Slave Cylinder

Clutch Master

Clutch Hardline

Manual tranny clutch bushing

Manual transmission harness

Backing plate

Clutch kit

Modification required:

Holes for fitting clutch pedal.

If you don't want to get the brake pedal just hack away at the automatic one.

Thats it. =]

Try your local pick n pull or something. All those things you can get at you Nissan Dealer but I'm guessing pricing will be over 500$? I did my swap for 300$ with hook ups from friends. I really wouldn't know though, I'm kind of new to the Z cars myself maybe someone more experienced can hop in and tell us.

About 20% of the 280Zx produced were turbos. Most of these appear to have been automatics. Converting is not a huge undertaking if you are mechanically inclined. Cost is relative to how much wrenching you have to pay for vs what you can do and the needed parts, of course. I'd look for a 5 speed parts car to strip for parts as it will probably be less expensive in the long run and you'll have all of the parts plus a visual reference. Converting to turbo is another big and costly step. If it were me (and I've owned/built about 50 cars over the years) I'd look for a good 5 speed turbo'd car to buy outright. They are out there although low in numbers. The reason I say this is the time and expense to build what you want will in all likelihood exceed what a whole good car would cost you. Been there and done that. Only a true hybrid is worth the trouble and expense IMHO.