HybridZ

CV adaptor / sway bar interference

Here is a bad photo (turn up the brightness of your monitor to view it better) of the bar mounting behind the differential vs the more common front mounting. You will see that the bar arms go forward, under the CV joint, and then to the link which is forward the the joint (as seen by the link bolt threads extending through the bottom of the control arm). Even if your Z has not been lowered, I suspect that there is still not enough room (for an "above the CV joint mounting") between the arm end/link to prevent interference with the subframe that rides over the top of the link (barely visible just directly above the bar arms) when the suspension is fully compressed. Yes, there is no bananas, I mean, OEM uprights in this photo, but just pretend that they are there in place of the aluminum plate.

standard.jpg

My car is a 280Z, so it's rear bar mounts from the front. I used the solution that alsil sugggested, and it has worked fine. As I recall, there was a slight interference at full compression, but I believe that it only involved reshaping the 'flange' on the leading edge of the suspension arm a small amount.

I did do some quick calculations, as I was worried about this mod causing too much deflection in the end link, but as I recall, the total deflection worked out to about 0.45", which I deemed liveable. The clearance is pretty close, but so far, my suspension does not bind, and my CV boots are intact.

BTW, kudos to Ruben for searching the archives, instead of asking the same question for the millionth time... smile.gif

Guest Carrman
Originally posted by TimZ:

[QB]My car is a 280Z, so it's rear bar mounts from the front. I used the solution that alsil sugggested, and it has worked fine.

Is this with a stock bar, or an aftermarket one?

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread as I was doing the CV conversion. Glad I did.

I have a 77 280 with Suspension techniques 7/8" rear bar.

Prior to shortening the sleeve on the Link from 2" to 1", I had about 1/4" clearance between the Sway bar Washers/bushings and the CV boot with the car on its wheels. It would come within 1/8" of the boot when the suspension was compressed (as best I could pull it down with a come-along attached to the lift while watching).

After shortening the sleeve about 1", The link now doesn't come within 1/4" of the boot.

I didn't eliminate the sleeve entirely bacause the link angle got weird looking without it.

Just thought I'd ask if this clearance with the shortened sleeve is sufficient in you guys' opinion.

I'm gonna learn to check HybridZ before I do any project - Whatever the job, it's probably been debugged already.

Thanks,