HybridZ

Lights/guages dim and no turn signals?

I was driving my '73 Z today and I noticed the signals weren't blinking as quickly as normal. Then, tonight when I was driving it, the signals didn't hardly work at all, and the guages and lights seemed very dim compared to normal. The lights didn't dim when I stepped on the brakes or turned the stereo on and off, which would obviously point to a bad ground. Any ideas? I kinda drive my Z every day so I need to fix it fast!

• Administrators

Could be a bad connection somewhere whether it be a positive lead or ground. Don’t rule out a malfunctioning alternator. Brake lights and radio, (depending on the radio and amplifier/s) might not be enough of a current draw to noticeably dim the instrument lights if the alternator isn’t functioning. With the engine running, voltage at the battery should be 13.7-14.2 or there-abouts. Engine off, of course voltage will be around 12-13 volts depending on if the battery just came off charging etc.

A quick test, (no volt meter to verify actual voltages), would be with the engine running, turn on the parking lights, make note of the gauge brightness, then turn on the head lights with the high beams and note how much the gauges dim, (for the 240-Z with the stock alternator and wiring, it is best to do this test with the engine revved above 1500 RPM.)

In short, first make sure the alternator is indeed functioning as it should, 13.7-14.2 volts at the battery with the engine running.

Hope that helps…

• Administrators
It was the battery; soon all the guages and lights stopped working, and it died in my driveway. Replaced the battery, worked fine …..

Glad to hear that you found the problem. :2thumbs: Not that it matters now, but were you able to confirm the details of the issue? Internally shorted battery?

……. (except for the air filter catching on fire, but that's a story for another time).

Oh c’mon.. You can’t tease us with a line like that and no pictures, let alone a story to go with it?..... :lmao:

Honestly I don't know exactly how it happened; I assume because the timing was off and one of the carbs was out of synch, and from all the cranking of the engine trying to get it to start might've caused a lot of fuel buildup...so when I finally got it started, one of the air filters went up in flames, scaring the absolute pee pee out of me and my brother. Don't try this at home kiddies! Especially not parked next to your home with your brother's car parked next to yours!