HybridZ

Motor mount choice/GM/PST/ES/experiences/preferences?

Now I'm looking to use the true GM engine mounts as Ron Tyler was certain that they were far 'smoother' than aftermarket rubbers as his ride was smoother than other hybridz and this was one difference they narrowed it down to. I'm also aware of the other 'safety' aftermarket mounts with locking internal plates to prevent mount shearing/failure. My current pass. mount is badly cracked/nearing failure so I'm concerned about using a 'non-safety' mount. Any experiences on the list with ordinary (ie. sealed power etc/that's what I used/have now) chevy mounts in their hybrids? Anyone else crack theirs? Mine's not the strongest running build by far so experience of others would go a long ways in making my decision on which new mounts to go with. Smoothness is a priority.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest Anonymous

I think that comparing smoothness from one car, to a group of cars with various mods can't be a real true comparison. If its the same car from one mount to the other, then by all means it could be determined the rubber is of a different compound making it smoother feeling. I'm sure GM did factor in the compound of the rubber when it designed the motor mount, and that was likely to the motor's spec's.

Horsepower and torque will have a roll on breaking mounts of course, as will large cams (smoothness with a big cam, probably not until 2000 rpms or higher...). If breaking of the mounts is occuring, you can use the safety mounts as you said, or a chain or cable or hinged strap from the frame to the block to prevent it from moving to far and stressing the mount.

Not disputing your findings, just thought I'd throw in some other possibilities..

Regards,

Lone

Ross, I am using the stock motor mounts as recommended by JTR. They cite that smoothness was the priority and said nothing regarding any possibility of failure due to (extreme) use. As you know, my conversion is not quite there yet, but I am reasonably sure the stock mounts are the way to go if smoothness is a concern--and it is for you and me...

For the amount of horsepower you are running, the stock mounts should be more then sufficient. For very high HP applications, a urethane mount or solid mount (for all out racing applications) might be better because it is stiffer and also have a guarantee against failure if I'm not mistaken. Hope this helps.

David

OK, something odd is going on...I"ve received 2 notices that both lonehrider and davyz have replied to this but it's not showing up on my screen/closed and reentered hybridz.....any ideers? if I reenter I assume my setup isn't using the cached page? doesn't happen with others...I assume these two replies are here.....sorry for the NC but felt it was relevant

------------------

Weird/I rebooted and on 3rd attempt I could finally see the other replies in this thread?? Computer was stable so no ideer what that was...

quote:

Originally posted by lonehdrider:

I think that comparing smoothness from one car, to a group of cars with various mods can't be a real true comparison.

Not disputing your findings, just thought I'd throw in some other possibilities..

Regards,

Lone

Lone, I appreciate the input and try not to ever assume ideas are gospel but can forget on occasion smile.gif. When Ron Tyler/Paul Ruschman/ and Jim Biondi had put their heads together and thought something might be attributable to the motor mount differences I tucked it away for possible use later on.

I know for a fact that their are great differences b/t the existing motor and tranny mounts out their regarding the effectiveness of their rubber as a dampner/isolater. Simplest example is OE Lt1 A4 trans mounts, they snap them monthly in strong builds and going to aftermarket anytype they don't snap but vibrations come thru strongly and harshly. Swapping to the OE LS1 A4 (4L60 etc) mount removes the vibes and withstands the power without breaking.

If in some way the OE GM mounts (I'd heard they're around $100CD/not cheap compared to the sealed power etc) I'd use can have a portion of that resilience and dampening I'm all for it.

One thing I'm envious of is the smoothness of a Z32 total platform. I was at a Z shop one day and a TT owner had come in with a question on his recently fully rebuilt TT motor....with door open they just put their finger on the weatherstripping and their was a v. slight/cyclic vibe, I thought they were nuts but thats how smooth those motors are and I had no idea they were so 'silent/smooth' at idle. Reminded me of my dad's 90 supra that when idling you couldn't always even hear or know if it was running. I don't expect to get that 'smooth' but every bit will be nice. I feel my roller/relatively mild cam/ee fan/thick valve covers and sound proofing have made efforts for smoothness and dampening of sound and/or vibes and any other suggested details I'm fully open to. I look fwd to my EFI further enhancing this. (naturally I'll set one program with a rich idle to lump it when I feel it's neccessary smile.gif )

------------------