HybridZ

How good is stock?

Hey everyone,

I've been using the search button quite a lot and I have been reading up quite a lot about upgrading the suspension on the S30. Throughout my research all I keep hearing are these coil over conversions with adjustable accessories and all these fancy parts.

Now I'm completely re-doing my suspension. By this coming Wednesday I will have new ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings/seals front and rear, TechnoToy T/C rods w/ 5 degrees of caster, Tokico HP struts, Arizona Z Car springs(180lb's front, 200lb's rear), suspension techniques front/rear swaybars w/ poly bushings, new engine mounts, and finally every single bushing will be swapped out to polyurethane, including the steering coupler. I also have the PDK strut bar in the rear and will eventually have it in the front too. Now, this car will be used mainly for daily driving, with autocross/track days once every month. It also currently has a L28 w/ mild cam, 71' 240z carbs, MSD 6A ignition, 5-speed, and an r-200 rear end(non-lsd).

My question is this. With all of the above, will this car be a threat on the track/autocross comparing to the sports cars out on the market today? I've been so caught up in constantly reading posts of all these fancy pancy suspensions I feel like my suspension will be obsolete.

What do you guys think? Am I just worrying too much? I do realize that the driver also makes all the difference, but I would just like to know what my Z will be like comparing to the new sports cars of today.

Thanks in advance,

-Armand

Guest TeamNissan

With a nice set of tires like proxies or such I'm sure you will handle fine. Right out of the box your going to feel a world a dif doing all that at once but expect on some tuning and settling be for your ready to be a serious threat.

mho

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on getting new wheels in about 2-3 weeks. The new 16x8 RB-R's with 225's all around. Once I get those I will also add the quick steering knuckles/bumpsteer spacers. When I get my motor built I will switch to 245's in the rear, yes, with stock fenders and the stock spring perch, and add an LSD.

With the parts you mentioned your car should be up to par with alot of modern sports cars today, but what it really comes down to is your driving.

Just to give you an idea of what i'm talking about the last track event I went to at the Streets of Willow I was faster than a modded mr2, 240sx's wrx's, and even a vette. However, There was a guy out there with an old beat up VW rabbit that was probably the fastest in our run group. I spoke to the guy later that day and found out he's been driving his car tracks for years. It happens all the time.

If your trying to be quick out there I would sugest building a balanced car as a whole, then get plenty of seat time.

Your local and I also need to brush up on my driving, interested in some track events or spirited driving?