HybridZ

Lowering springs + spacers + raised CA points=not a good com

New member, first post. I am in the process of incorporating the following modifications on my 240Z-72. New springs from MJP Auto that will lower the car 1â€. The so called “bump-steer†spacers from MSA P/N 23-4185, 0,74†tick. And raising the lower control arm points on the front cross member acc to JTR manual page 16-8. I have the parts and I have started with knocking out the reinforcement washers in the cross member but I have not drilled the holes yet.

I have search this site a lot and when finding threads like this: http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000344#000000 I have started to think that combining all three might not be a good idée…. any inputs?

Don't do both the spacer and raised CA points. Do one or the other. Both are designed to counteract the geometry changes that are a result of lowering the car. If you do both, you are overcompensating and my guess is you will end up with a car that handles pretty strangely, though I've never actually tried it. This has been discussed numerous times on this forum, so keep searching if you're not satisfied yet.

Gene

Guest Anonymous

Agree with Gene... Since you have already started go with the pivot re-location and forget about the spacers. At "one inch" lowering you may not be low enough to warrant the bumpsteer mods and kind of in a "GREY AREA".Hold off on that unless you have drilled the pivot holes. Put it all together as stock settings and see what happens Get some of the 3 piece poly bushings for the control arm. The old bushing is a PITA to take out but the new bushings are easy.

Guest AlsoRanFPrepared
Originally posted by auxilary:

the reason you don't want to do both is that you may wind up extending it too much and stressing teh balljoint to a point where it might snap on the outside wheel through a hard turn

How exactly will the relocation of the control arm pickup when combined with the spacer cause and increased load as seen by the ball joint?

Let's say the car is not lowered enough to compensate for both spacer and ca pivot relocation, ie. 1" or so. Putting a spacer on will lower the outer end of the control arm by 3/4". Moving the pivot point will also decrease the angle between the control arm and the strut.

spacers.jpg

now, as the angle decreases, the only thing that joins the strut housing with control arm is the balljoint, and with inside angle increased (pivot point relocation the balljoint is angled more than it's supposed to be.

Now, let's say the person's entering a hard right turn, all the weight pitches to the outside on the left side. Left side suspension compresses, and majority of hte weight is on the front left. The right side experiences alleviation, and the right control arm hangs lower, where the balljoint gets more stress as the suspension is not under pressure and is fully extended. There's a chance that the balljoint will either experience a lot of wear, or might eventually snap.

Guest AlsoRanFPrepared

Thanks,

The basic issue is the potential for lack of range of motion in the balljoint as a result of the altered control arm angle causing premature failure.