HybridZ

Need your review: Hobart 175

Dan Juday

Hey guys,

Buying my first MIG.

I've done some electric welding in my time: mig and stick. I do a lot of oxy./act. brazing and some welding in my work (HVAC). I've used a couple of crappy borrowed migs before with similar results. These welds were not critical/structural. But I get tired of paying welders to do what I know I can do for myself. And welding can be fun when you have good tools to work with.

So I've been doing a lot of reading here and on welding sites and had pretty much settled on a Miller 175. Then I was talking to a sign builder here in town (he works exclusively with aluminum and plastics). Be bought a Hobart 175 a few years ago for a rare steel job. He did about 2 hours of welding with it and it's been sitting gathering dust ever since. He needs the money now more than the welder and I can pick it up at a pretty reasonable price.

I've read that the Hobart is a slightly down graded version of the Miller. I'd just like to know what you guys think. I'm at that point in my life where bargains don't have the great attraction they used to. I've thrown too many of them in the trash. But if this machine performes like the Miller or can be upgraded easily I'll go for it.

Give me your thoughts.

I can't give direct feedback on the 175 but I bought a Hobart 135 and have been happy with it. I wish now I would have gone with a larger one but I don't have 220v in my garage and got a good deal through Northern Tool Supply.

The 135 has been consistent and reliable and I'd expect the same level of quality from the 175. The one thing I will replace that came with my welder is the gas flow regulator, it's not the best quality and I have to watch the flow close when the tank pressure gets low.

Wheelman

I have a Hobart 175 and it has worked great for me. Now I am by no way an expert at welding so take this as you may. However I have run 5 bolttles of C25 through it in the last 5 years.

The unit has done everything I have asked of it from 26 gauge sheet metal work to 3/16 steel plate. The only part on it that says Hobart that I have found is the sticker on the side of the unit.

Hope this helps some.

HB280ZT

... You can't fine tune the heat on the hobart like on the miller ( the hobart just has 4 settings) ...

Yes, that is the part that bugs me. Some people, like big B here, have no problems with it. While others said it made a big difference for them.

Some of the cheapo migs I've used in the past have had the same three or four setting only control and they were a pain to use. But that may be more related to the overall quality of the welder and not just the heat control limitations.

Anybody know if the voltage control from the Miller can be swapped into the Hobart, and at what cost?

If you can spend the extra money get the Millermatic 180. www.cyberweld.com has the best prices and free shipping.

$779 for the Millermatic 180 with regulator. If you are going to be doing a lot of stuff on a Z like exhaust, floorpans, and roll cages you will want the little bit of extra adjustability. Thin sheemetal is really hard to weld on with a mig because of the high amount of force being pushed at the metal when it is hot. There isn't much worse thn being almost finished with a project and then blowing a big ugly hole right in the middle of it with your MIG wire.

Unless the Hobart is REALLY cheap I'd want to go with the Miller. retrofitting the Hobart is an interesting idea. I am guessing it is a Hobart 175 which is different than the newer 180 series so parts may not interchange so you'd need stuff from an older millermatic 175. Maybe Ebay?

Good luck and enjoy the bacon sizzle!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys,

Buying my first MIG.

I've done some electric welding in my time: mig and stick. I do a lot of oxy./act. brazing and some welding in my work (HVAC). I've used a couple of crappy borrowed migs before with similar results. These welds were not critical/structural. But I get tired of paying welders to do what I know I can do for myself. And welding can be fun when you have good tools to work with.

So I've been doing a lot of reading here and on welding sites and had pretty much settled on a Miller 175. Then I was talking to a sign builder here in town (he works exclusively with aluminum and plastics). Be bought a Hobart 175 a few years ago for a rare steel job. He did about 2 hours of welding with it and it's been sitting gathering dust ever since. He needs the money now more than the welder and I can pick it up at a pretty reasonable price.

I've read that the Hobart is a slightly down graded version of the Miller. I'd just like to know what you guys think. I'm at that point in my life where bargains don't have the great attraction they used to. I've thrown too many of them in the trash. But if this machine performes like the Miller or can be upgraded easily I'll go for it.

Give me your thoughts.

you won't be sorry if you buy a miller ... miller is the best hands down...

Spoke to a couple of Miller shops in our area. The Hobart can not be retrofitted with the Miller amp control without changing the control board. Total of parts exceeds the cost of the machine (there's a healthy markup, hey?).

Guess I'm going to pass on the used Hobart machine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest runningjalapeno

just my 2 cents I have a campbell hausfeld it is a small mig welder and I have done alot of welding with this machine I also have a miller trail blazer on my truck it it is a great machine, in the shop we have several hobarts and 2 lincolns never had any problems with any of the hobart.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd cap this thread off and let you guys know I DID buy that Hobart welder. For $150 I couldn't pass it up. It's only five years old and has more dust on it than time (maybe four hours if the seller is telling me the truth, he bought it new). I spent more than that for a bottle of gas to weld with.

Any who, after I get a 50 amp receptical installed in my garage tomorrow, I'll let you know what I think of it. Heck, if I don't like it the counter guy at Praxair offered me twice what I paid for it.

I'm by no means an expert welder and I've only been welding for probably 4 years or so now. In my experience i'd go with the name brand machine. I use a lincoln MIG welder. I love it and until recently I've had no problems with it. I only have 120v and while welding my diff it just didn't have the umff to get through the hard thick metal. However I still managed to weld it and have drifted on it for over half a year now with no problems.

It's very easy to get parts for it which is always nice.