HybridZ

LT1 / Painless Harness Question #1 of many to come...please help!

Guys:

Well, this has been a pretty frustrating week as far as the Z goes. I hate to think of how many hours I've spent trying to get just a few wires finished....

My first question is this: for the backup lights, the fuel pump power relay and the cooling fan "switch", do I use the speartech harness/LT1 harness leads (I'm assuming I do, but you know what happens when you assume) or the painless harness wires or both?

Sorry for questions that I'm sure are very simple for others.....couldn't find the painless harness for dummies book.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bryan

Dat240zg

Sorry for the confusion...

I have two wires from the LT1 harness that are for the backup lights (and two from the painless harness), one wire from the LT1 harness for the fuel pump (connected to a relay done by Speartech) that corresponds to two wires on the painless (one which is keyed, the other 12v from the fuse box, and two painless wires for the cooling fan switch - but the cooling fans are controlled by relays tied in to the LT1 harness.

My first question is this: can I simply run the LT1 backup light wires directly to the backup lights and bypass the painless wires altogether?

Secondly, couldn't I run the LT1 fuel pump wire to the keyed wire of the painless harness and bypass the 12v fuel pump wire?

Finally, I believe that I don't even need to use the painless cooling fan switch wires as the fans are controlled by the LT1 ECU and relays - does that sound logical to you?

Thanks for the help and patience as I try to muddle through this.

Bryan

Brian,

Your question is still very confusing but I think I understand it now. You will first need to understand which wires are inputs and which are outputs especially for the painful harness. This is how the 2 back up wires on the LT1 should be hooked up: 1 wire to ignition (input) and the other to your back up lights (output). Both of these wires are basically go to the reverse switch in the transmission. So it doesn't matter which wire is which. You can use either wire for input. So the answer to your question is yes you can bypass the painless harness to hook up your back up lights just as long as you can get the ignition source from some where to feed the switch (one of the 2 wires on the LT1 harness).

Now for the 2nd question: Your LT1 harness has 1 wire for the fuel pump. This is the 12V output to the fuel pump. You said it is hooked up to the SpearTech harness thru a relay then you don't need the fuel pump circuit from the painless harness. Just make sure you hook up the Battery input and Ignition source input to the SpearTech harness. Does your SpearTech harness has the starter relay in there also? If it is you don't need the starter circuit from the painless harness also. You will need the Spec for the painless harness my friend. Otherwise it will become a PAINFULL harness. GL.

V.

PS. I am still confusing about your setup. Are you using the LT1 harness for inside the car and the SpearTech engine harness? Please shoot me a PM and I will help you out.