HybridZ

Car loves running COLD

mario_82_ZXT

I'm using the CHTS for the temp sensor and as Tony D has pointed out I see "operating temperature" much sooner then the water temp gauge in the cabin.

I had this problem earlier where no matter what I did I would get a ping in 3rd gear and above at 4-4.5k. Eventually I started from scratch with the maps and adding more fuel pushed the ping farther and farther up. Eventually I was able to get rid of it by backing of 1 degree in the cells at 7psi (running stock boost) and the ones before that.

The problem is I have absolutely no pinging with these settings if the water temp is about halfway from the first white line to the F in the middle of the gauge (though it shows ~200deg in Megatune). This is about a 1/3 into the gauge sweep.

If there's lots of traffic or stop and go and the gauge reaches the half way point, nothing I do will stop the ping (even though the MS temp gauge reads about the same as before).

Any ideas?

Mario

Jeez Mario, you never have any luck with this motor. I think it's cursed.

Sounds like it's getting hot spots in the head, above the combustion chambers, and you've got it tuned close enough to detonation that that's pushing it over the edge. Perhaps try running some water wetter?

I don't think your intake temps are to blame. I've hit 210*F MATs before in the summer, and I didn't have any ping problems even when water temps hit 220 (was a bad radiator). I was running water wetter, though, as I always do.