HybridZ

1st attempt frame no good, start over

Well, I screwed up my engine compartment frame rails that I was building to replace the origional rusted stuff. I welded around my pocket for the crossmember too fast and warped them. Didn't notice until I welded the second one up. Oh well, it was a good lesson to learn early on. So I am going to the steel yard today to get more 2.5" tubing and start over. This time I will weld slow and let everything cool. I will also check for warping and twisting continually. I think I will also change my bolt pocket design so that it doesn't lend itself so easily to bending when I weld it up. Luckily I had only tacked the first into the car when I noticed the problem, so it was easy too remove and no harm done to the car. I can't believe I didn't pay attention to that, I have welded enough stuff to see how the heat twists everything. I guess the real lesson learned is to slow down and doublecheck everything.

Guest Anonymous

Moby.. as a reminder to what you already know.. stagger those spot weld beads and alternate those welds as far apart as posible and use every clamp you can lay hands on.

I now have 24 feet of new 2.5" tubing. So I'll try again this weekend and see what happens.

BTW, if anyone has advice on how to build in the bolt pocket when replacing the engine compartment frame with 2.5" sqaure tubing let me know. Maybe there is an easier way to fab this area.

moby id suggest cutting the pocket out an equal amount on both faces of the tube, then flipping the piece that came out upside down. try and hold it in place with a magnet or something just till you can tack it. also make sure you cut the hole large enough so that when you are trying to install the bolts they will be able to slide through the hole at an angle (learned this one the hardway) to make the little end square pieces id suggest using a square piece thats larger then the hole then tacking it in place and cutting it down to size. good luck -pete

Guest Anonymous

Moby,

know you are in the 'midst of battle'.....but when you get a chance it would be interesting to see your design either by pic or drawing. My 280z/289 has custom welded motor mounts welded to the rails reinforced with 1 inch tubes ( c shaped )coming from the inside flat side of the chassis rail to support the frame mount.

Look on my website under 240z and then under frame. The first time I made all of the cuts before welding and this allowed everthing to warp easily. Yesterday, I made a new one based on the same design, but I only cut out for the plate first and welded it in. Then I cut out the pocket and welded it later. That worked a lot better. I am sure there are other ways to do it, but I think this one will work for me.