HybridZ

Ford T5 and Chevy T5

Guest Tom Simpson

Guest Tom Simpson

Will either of these work with my 350 Chebby? I have a turbo 350 right now and it sucks on the freeway. Isnt the only difference the bellhousing?

Tom, I am contemplating the same thing before I buy and believe that in addition to what you mentioned, the input shafts and output shafts are different. IMO the Ford seems to be a bit stronger than the Chevy, but you have to have it modified to fit. It was either Dark Horse Performance or Forte's that did the mods on Pete's tranny--look on his website and you'll find your answer. To me it comes down to a question of cost. After putting money into a Ford tranny, would I have been better off buying a T56???? Good luck.

David

Guys, I have a Tremec TR-3550 5spd. It's stronger than a WC T-5 from the get go, mostly due to wider gears. The shaft spacing is identical or close to it. It came in the 1995 Cobra R Mustang, and is available as a replacement for the T-5 in the Mustang. It shares now design details of the T-5 that I'm aware of.

Darkhorse Performance and Forte's are two places that take the Ford form-factor TR-3550 (or the stronger TKO brother) and convert them for use in a GM situation. The details of what I think Darkhorse does to modify it are on my site.

Regards,