HybridZ

su experience needed

scuba steve

I found an inexpensive set of used SU's and the seller told me "The snorkel for the air cleaner is bent a little, so the summer/winter flap does not fully work, it goes to about 3/4 winter and binds. The carbs themselves are in excellent shape, all functions are smooth but not sloppy". I am not familiar with the mechanicals of these carbs, but if this snorkel problem is not such a big deal to fix, I will buy the SU book and get after it. I assume (nevermind the assumtion, I've learned what that does :wink:).

Also, there is a gentleman selling triple Dell Orto's in the classified section...are these too much carb for a basically stock L28? (6 into 1 Header, 2.5 in exhaust, MSD 6a coming soon) Thanks in advance for any help...this forum rules!:icon14:

the winter summer flap is an easy fix. If you live in a warmer climate just put it on summer and forget it .... some guys hack saw that part off. Just put a free flowing air cleaner on (K&N thats what I have.)

As far as the tripples I think its to much carb for a stock L28 head & cam combo. If you had a bigger cam or some head work done then the tripples would be good but I would recomend the SU's ... there just easy and can give you all the power you need on a stock L28 head.

You don't even need to change the needles the stock 240z needles work just fine.

Buy the SU's

I hope this helped, Matt-

I think you're right about going with the SU's, is there any way to fix the problem correctly? I'm not neccessarily opposed to the hacksaw fix, but I sure hate doing anything that can't be undone. My mechanical skills are better than average, so I'm not afraid of tackling a tricky job. I guess I'l buy that "How to rebuild and tune Su carbs" book (or whatever the actual title is). Thanks for the quick response, I knew HybridZ would come through.:mparty::mparty:

I found an inexpensive set of used SU's and the seller told me "The snorkel for the air cleaner is bent a little, so the summer/winter flap does not fully work, it goes to about 3/4 winter and binds. The carbs themselves are in excellent shape, all functions are smooth but not sloppy". I am not familiar with the mechanicals of these carbs, but if this snorkel problem is not such a big deal to fix, I will buy the SU book and get after it. I assume (nevermind the assumtion, I've learned what that does :wink:).

Also, there is a gentleman selling triple Dell Orto's in the classified section...are these too much carb for a basically stock L28? (6 into 1 Header, 2.5 in exhaust, MSD 6a coming soon) Thanks in advance for any help...this forum rules!:icon14:

You can leave it on Summer there in Fla..

You might also look into the 6" round K&N elements. These will be one filter per carb. Then you get a mini K&N for the valve cover and a bit larger one for the breather tube on the block.

Another mod for the K&N filters is to either cut the velocity stack off of the stock base plate or get aluminum ones from Z Therapy. Try and get the shortest ones possible.

Alan

Yeah, I figured I would go the K&N route. Oh, and I had heard that the little filter on the valve cover leads to even MORE exhaust smell in the passenger compartment, is this not true, or not really noticeable? Also, I have seen people put breathers on the crankcase vent line...I would've thought that needed vacuum to clean out the gunk. Maybe I'm getting too serious here?

Yeah, I figured I would go the K&N route. Oh, and I had heard that the little filter on the valve cover leads to even MORE exhaust smell in the passenger compartment, is this not true, or not really noticeable? Also, I have seen people put breathers on the crankcase vent line...I would've thought that needed vacuum to clean out the gunk. Maybe I'm getting too serious here?

The additional smell from that is a new one on me. I suppose if the engine had bad ring sealing and was blowing oil vapor out it could cause a stink. Then you have bigger problems than a smell...

You can still run the crank vent line up to the PCV on the intake with the SU. If you switch to a triple set up the PCV goes away. That should help you out some.

If you are having any exhaust smells you should check the gear shift boot under the console and the rear hatch seal. Also make sure the tail pipe is out at least to the end of the bumper when looking down at the pipe from above.

Alan

I'm not really having any issues with exhaust smells, I had just read that little tid bit in the forums a couple of times (I tried to re-find them, but couldn't). I'm not too worried about it, just was curious and knew I could count on you readers to know more than I do!:hail:

• 2 weeks later...

I got the SU's today, they seem to be in real good shape (clean, free movement, etc.). I've searched all over the forum for a good up-close pic of an SU setup on a N36 intake, and can only find really small pics or ones that the air cleaner hides half of the setup. If anyone has a good pic or two, or has more luck searching, could you please post a pic or send a link? I will be ordering the How to Rebuild SU's...book soon, and maybe the Ztherapy video, but I wanted to get a head start on planning this project out! Thanks in advance!

I got the SU's today, they seem to be in real good shape (clean, free movement, etc.). I've searched all over the forum for a good up-close pic of an SU setup on a N36 intake, and can only find really small pics or ones that the air cleaner hides half of the setup. If anyone has a good pic or two, or has more luck searching, could you please post a pic or send a link? I will be ordering the How to Rebuild SU's...book soon, and maybe the Ztherapy video, but I wanted to get a head start on planning this project out! Thanks in advance!

Get a copy of a factory workshop manaul or a Clymer shop manual. They have drawings/photos. The video may help too. I have not viewed that though. They didn't make VCRs when I got mine:)

Alan