HybridZ

Sectioning struts

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello Z guys, I have my strut housing torn down in the process of installing coil overs and sectioning my struts. I would like info on what type of strut to run front and rear, and how to position the spring perch as well as position and dimension of the section to be removed from the strut. I was thinking of using some 2" I.D. pipe as a sleave for a perch as well as brace. Thankyou for your help and go easy. Chris

Hello Chris.

I don't know off the top of my head what struts to use. I bought a package deal with coilover kits and Tokico Illuminas all setup for a 2" section. I know I have read about folks using either VW Rabbit or Golf struts up front and using their stock Z struts in the rear. A 1.5 to 2" section is sounds about par with what most other guys have done (if they section at all). It will depend on your intended final ride height among other factors.

In any case, this subject has been covered A LOT in the past. Do a search and you should find tons of very specific information on the subject.

Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

Chris: big difference in 240 and 280 struts. Ross Corrigan web page as does Mike Gibson web page sell about the best coilovers for around 400.00 and That is competitive. Mike has pictures of using the perch strap as you describe. Ross C sells a thick washer for a lower sprong perch.I would suggest buying 6 inch adjusting sleeves and place them on the lower perch so the sleeves just touch the gland nut at the top of the strut tube after the strut cartridge is fully secured in the strut tube by the gland nut. Ross carries the split adjusting nut that is the best for not damaging sleeve threads. You use the shrter front strut cartridges in the rear with spacers and 280 Z larger front tubes with a 2 inch section will require a 1985-92 Golf/Jetta strut(KYB GR2 # 364014) cartridge and the 240 Z front will require a front MR2 Toyota strut cartridge I do not know the year but a Tokico Illumina # BZ3099 is the one. Trial fit your cartridges before cutting and do not remove more than 2 inches.. The coilovers without sectioning will lower your car by 2 inches

Originally posted by Tomahawk Z:

... and the 240 Z front will require a front MR2 Toyota strut cartridge I do not know the year but a Tokico Illumina # BZ3099 is the one.

I'm pretty sure that the Z front needs the rear strut from the MR2, not the front.