HybridZ

Some questions on the RB26

Starking

Alright, I plan on picking up a 240Z if I can. But after going over swaps I see the RB26 as setting my needs. But, I would like to ask a few things.

1.How hard is it to get the transmission up to the engine(Meaning the 5 speed from the RB25)?

2.Hows Maintenance on these things, meaning is it hard to get parts for them. I know its silly to ask. But I know parts for the engine can still be found if you look.

3.Performance, I know its the basic concept of putting a high powered engine in a light car. But what is it like driving a stock RB26 in a Z?

4.With the R32 and R33 engines. Can I have it reach an higher RPM without something going wrong(I know timing belts have problems at higher RPMs). But a high revving engine is something I would want.

I really have no cost goals since I'll be working on it for quite a while(I don't need a car right away since I'll be most likely getting a hand-me-down).

But I do have a power goal of about 550+ HP. So thats something I have too think about then it comes down too cost.

Well, I know it isn't much. But these are something I would like to hear from owners.

Alright, I plan on picking up a 240Z if I can. But after going over swaps I see the RB26 as setting my needs. But, I would like to ask a few things.

1.How hard is it to get the transmission up to the engine(Meaning the 5 speed from the RB25)?

2.Hows Maintenance on these things, meaning is it hard to get parts for them. I know its silly to ask. But I know parts for the engine can still be found if you look.

3.Performance, I know its the basic concept of putting a high powered engine in a light car. But what is it like driving a stock RB26 in a Z?

4.With the R32 and R33 engines. Can I have it reach an higher RPM without something going wrong(I know timing belts have problems at higher RPMs). But a high revving engine is something I would want.

I really have no cost goals since I'll be working on it for quite a while(I don't need a car right away since I'll be most likely getting a hand-me-down).

But I do have a power goal of about 550+ HP. So thats something I have too think about then it comes down too cost.

Well, I know it isn't much. But these are something I would like to hear from owners.

I'm going to keep this simple and completely answer your questions, and offset your questions by 1 number, starting with number 1:

1) Search

2) Remove driveshaft, remove tranny mount, remove bolts, remove transmission. All depends on how you mount your engine really.

3) Parts are easy to come by, they've been here for more than 2 years on the road, legally. Parts can be bought form Nissan if you have the Part Number (I can help find it), and usually you want to upgrade anyway.

4) Stony clocked a low-mid 11 second run on his stock RB26 with 12psi. Very good by today's swap standards. Do you need to beat a 360 Modena on your way to Wal Mart to buy DVD's? keep it realistic, and it will impress you to no end.

5) Valve train might need some Tomei B-spec or tougher parts. Cams indefinately to make power in that range, rather than restrict. Stronger internals for sure, especially rod-bolts. Do you need to rev that high?

Personal Opinion = keep revs lower, make power sooner, shift gears quicker, keep engine longer, change tires faster.

I'm going to keep this simple and completely answer your questions, and offset your questions by 1 number, starting with number 1:

1) Search

2) Remove driveshaft, remove tranny mount, remove bolts, remove transmission. All depends on how you mount your engine really.

3) Parts are easy to come by, they've been here for more than 2 years on the road, legally. Parts can be bought form Nissan if you have the Part Number (I can help find it), and usually you want to upgrade anyway.

4) Stony clocked a low-mid 11 second run on his stock RB26 with 12psi. Very good by today's swap standards. Do you need to beat a 360 Modena on your way to Wal Mart to buy DVD's? keep it realistic, and it will impress you to no end.

5) Valve train might need some Tomei B-spec or tougher parts. Cams indefinately to make power in that range, rather than restrict.

Personal Opinion = keep revs lower, make power sooner, shift gears quicker, keep engine longer, change tires faster.

The one I plan to build is more for a top end then low end.

If the case was a low end I would have gone with a V8. So a lower redline and closer gears won't help towards what I want to do. But what you have provided is very useful. Thanks ^_^

The one I plan to build is more for a top end then low end.

If the case was a low end I would have gone with a V8. So a lower redline and closer gears won't help towards what I want to do. But what you have provided is very useful. Thanks ^_^

well, you might be able to take a page from the book of stony, and see how long it's taken and how much he's put into his build.

It ain't gonna be cheap, whether or not you do it yourself. and it will definately not be cheap if you give it to someone else to do.

are you budgeting yourself (loosely)?

well, you might be able to take a page from the book of stony, and see how long it's taken and how much he's put into his build.

It ain't gonna be cheap, whether or not you do it yourself. and it will definately not be cheap if you give it to someone else to do.

are you budgeting yourself (loosely)?

No not really, since this is going to be a project a couple years in the making. I don't want it to truely be a money pit. But I plan to take my time, I do plan to have someone help me with some parts(Boreing and stroking the engine and placing it in). But beyond that, its most likely going to be all of my doing.

Cool, a lot of us are in the same boat then. looking forward to your progress.

have you checked your prices for rb26's ?

About 2-4 grand for a R32 motor. Around about 4 I will most likely get the RB25 Trannie. Although this might sound a little weird. You wouldn't happen to know any parts I can replace with new parts(Ones that have to deal with everyday stresses). Because I happen to have someone in the family that works in a machine shop. Thats why I'm asking, so bigger heads and a shorter stroke. Just a off hand question.

About 2-4 grand for a R32 motor. Around about 4 I will most likely get the RB25 Trannie. Although this might sound a little weird. You wouldn't happen to know any parts I can replace with new parts(Ones that have to deal with everyday stresses). Because I happen to have someone in the family that works in a machine shop. Thats why I'm asking, so bigger heads and a shorter stroke. Just a off hand question.

what do you mean by bigger heads?

I'm actually going downstairs now to take pictures of all my parts that I have, and I will host a PDF with all the parts on my RB30DE.com website when I get around to it.

I'm not rushing it though. I like to take things easy.

what do you mean by bigger heads?

I'm actually going downstairs now to take pictures of all my parts that I have, and I will host a PDF with all the parts on my RB30DE.com website when I get around to it.

I'm not rushing it though. I like to take things easy.

Never mind that then. But cool, I would like to see some of the pictures ^_^

No not really, since this is going to be a project a couple years in the making. I don't want it to truely be a money pit. But I plan to take my time, I do plan to have someone help me with some parts(Boreing and stroking the engine and placing it in). But beyond that, its most likely going to be all of my doing.

Welcome Starking. :)

It is very possible to do this over a several period time makes it easier in some ways but a little harder in others. I applaud your interest in this and hope to see a killer project out of it.

Now one thing budget-wise: A majority of the purchases for this swap will be several hundred or, very easily, thousand dollars at one time. Im not saying to take out a 15g loan or anything but just know the motor or trans itself is not the only one time expensive peice of the puzzle.

Also do you mean that for 4 grand you can get an r32 gtr motor set with the rb25 trans included?

Welcome Starking. :)

It is very possible to do this over a several period time makes it easier in some ways but a little harder in others. I applaud your interest in this and hope to see a killer project out of it.

Now one thing budget-wise: A majority of the purchases for this swap will be several hundred or, very easily, thousand dollars at one time. Im not saying to take out a 15g loan or anything but just know the motor or trans itself is not the only one time expensive peice of the puzzle.

Also do you mean that for 4 grand you can get an r32 gtr motor set with the rb25 trans included?

Reading around the forum. There's a website(Can't remember off the top of my head, I think its in stoney's FAQ), that you can get a RB26 motor with a RB25 Transmission for around $3,500 and some of the other needed parts.

I know there is alot more after the transmission. But since the Z isn't AWD, I just found it a bit of a problem with the RB26 transmission. Thats why I asked.

On the subject of money, I basically plan to get all I need in one go so I don't forget things later on.

Thanks for the warm welcome ^_^

The installs differ and there have been a variety of install methods, and suppliers too.

It's hard to judge certain things and hoping it will work right. I think you should follow "getoffmyinternet" with his thread. So far it's pretty thorough, and it's a good indication of what's involved, and what you'll probably go through.

I think it would be too hard to buy everything and do it right away. You'd have to play it by eye, then by ear once you get the engine in there.

3500 - 4500 for an RB with a RB25DET Transmission is the norm. But you could find better prices. But sometimes those engines are a worn out like an old leather shoe...

The installs differ and there have been a variety of install methods, and suppliers too.

It's hard to judge certain things and hoping it will work right. I think you should follow "getoffmyinternet" with his thread. So far it's pretty thorough, and it's a good indication of what's involved, and what you'll probably go through.

I think it would be too hard to buy everything and do it right away. You'd have to play it by eye, then by ear once you get the engine in there.

3500 - 4500 for an RB with a RB25DET Transmission is the norm. But you could find better prices. But sometimes those engines are a worn out like an old leather shoe...

Hmm, sounds good. I guess you have a point. Maybe just save up the money and just buy it piece by piece(Unless there is some kind of bundle I need).

Alright then, at least I have my mind set on the engine I want. Just the work itself is now ahead of me.