HybridZ

FMIC or SMIC

czecho

I'm dropping in a single turbo 1uz-fe in a 1990 z32 and was wondering would i see a performance drop at all if i used SMIC for it instead of FMIC. Front mount are more expensive and they block radiator, ac-condenser, etc..., if i use the side mounts then my radiator etc would cool my engine better and my side mounts would still be getting cooled the same. I was just wondering because of the excess piping that it might drop performance a lil. but i have no clue at all

Please help me

Most people find that the engine temps change very little if at all using a FMIC. The heat that is passing through and being exchanged by the FMIC is quite a bit less than what the rad or A/C condenser see, hence why it is usually placed farthest forward.

I think the hardest part about a SMIC, would be getting air flow through it. Usually these are placed inside the fender and will need some sort of duct work to pass air through the core. I would also be worried about rocks being thrown from the tire(s) into the core and requires some sort of protection, usually a screen of some sort. This will cause a lower amount of air passing through the core due to simple restriction of air flow.

I thought about trying to get SMICs to work on my Jimmy, being on the outside of the frame rails, but decided that it would be easier to combine my two cores and place them between the frame, below the rad support I believe that the air flow would also be better. My previous IC was mounted in front of the rad. I know it's not a Z, but just an example.

The bumper im getting has air ducts in it for the SMIC, its the 99' JDM front bumper and there is plastic guarding the SMIC on both sides so nothing with hit it but the front of the SMIC's would need a grill to protect thats no big deal

The front bumper i getting: http://www.amzperformance.com/product_info.php?cPath=11&products_id=116

The SMIC's i want to get:

http://www.z1motorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_22&products_id=71

It appears that those intercooler(s) are meant for a TT setup. IE, you would not want flow out of one i/c and all the way across to another i/c. Seems simpler and cheaper to run a single FMIC, which is what I would do.

Evan

BTW, a thicker core will not make up for frontal surface area. The back half of the core is not as efficient as the front. Granted, I am making little sense but its covered in "maximum boost".