HybridZ

Rear axle specs requested- researching potential CV conversion parts

Daeron

Heigh-ho, HybridZ!

Being a Subaru owner (old POS FWD, but it IS a subaru) I am ALL too conscious of the sharing of design and parts sourcing between Datsuns and Subarus over the years. As I have been doing a great deal of reading up on drivetrain work lately, I have come to wonder what bits might be found on the tail side of a Subaru Legacy, or an Outback, that could potentially facilitate the installation of CV axles into the back of an S30 or S130.

I would not be the slightest bit surprised to discover compatible spline sizes, etc between the two, but I have NO parts to check on.

I have politely submitted a request to my subaru people for length of shaft, spline count, shaft diameter, bolt patterns on both flanges, etc... and this is where I do the same here for the shafts required for the Z. My thoughts are, that we stand a real good chance of finding the fitment pieces on a subaru, and then simply buying new 300ZX style axles... IF I should confirm my suspicion that the stock subaru axles (being designed for 4wd and all) are not beefy enough to handle the loading needed.

Thanks for any help offered. All I ask for here is data: numbers, sizes, shapes, patterns. If anyone in the community has parts handy that they can compare, thats great.. but if not I will start getting greasy in the JYs and find out what fits.

ANY and all discussion, suggestion, etc, is welcomed and requested!