HybridZ

Project 230ZT

Hello, here is my little 260z. Its an early one.

Lol, just realized I should tell you all what I put in. Im going to build a Z powered by a 2.3L Ford Turbo engine. Its a similar engine to the SVO Mustangs, Turbo Coupe Thunderbirds ect. that were made during the 80's. Its backed up by a WC T5, 5-speed overdrive manual transmission. This current engine will make around 250ish at the crank. Stock power is 190 HP, and 240TQ.

It has (or will have) a:

FMIC

Free flowing air intake/filter

3" mandrel bent exaust

Manual Boost Control Valve set to 18PSI

Advanced Timing 2-3*

So for now it may not get quite to 250 Hp, but it will be close enough for me to have some fun for now. I will be adding some trick stuff to it as time goes on. Onto the build pictures!

100_0210_thumb.jpg

100_0211_thumb.jpg

100_0212_thumb.jpg

Here is the engine and transmission in their final spot. I still need to clean up the mounts a bit to make them look better, but thats where everything landed. I have small concerns about the oil pan being exposed, Im probably going to have to make a wider/shallower pan.

Picture003_thumb.jpg

Picture005_thumb.jpg

Picture007_thumb.jpg

Picture004_thumb.jpg

Picture008_thumb.jpg

More pictures. Thats the smallest turbo Ford used on these engines. Its an IHI and its only safely capable of about 18 PSI. I will be using many different turbos during the life of this car. Im starting out with the small one, and will work my way up to bigger and better ones I have in storage waiting for their chance to shine. I have done more since these were taken. I will post more this weekend hopefully.

Picture009_thumb.jpg

Picture010_thumb.jpg

Picture011_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update (Finally) 3-12-08

I have been working on the Z when I can. Its outside now, so I can only work on it when its nice outside, and Im limited to the weekends =(

The gas tank is all done, the intercooler and piping are done, and all the wiring is done. It sputtered to life for a short while on starter fluid this last Saturday. It should run pretty sweet when I get around to putting gas in it :ugg:

You can see the wheels Im going to use. BBS 16x7 mesh wheels from a Lincoln Mark VII. They weigh about 17.5 pounds. Im converting to 5 Lug and using the vented Toyota 4x4 calipers. Im going with 225/50/16 in front, and 225/60/16 in back. The taller tire is on the wheel in the pic, so it looks really big.

Also take a look at my dash. Its just the dash cap, I removed everything from underneath it and lost about 40 pounds. It looks great and its super light! I need to finish making brackets for the gauges, they are being made from alluminum.

Im waiting for some brake parts to get here from Ross, and after I finish the brakes and make a driveshaft the car will be driving. I figure in the next couple weeks!

upadte 005_thumb.jpg

upadte 006_thumb.jpg

upadte 007_thumb.jpg

upadte 008_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

I drove the car around the block last night. The waste gate is open, so no boost; but the car still moves effortlessly. I can take off without giving the car any throttle, I just let the clutch out and it feels like a normal start in any other car.

This thing is going to fly :shock:

• 6 years later...

Even though I have addressed my needs with cubic inches.....There is a lot of merit to building smaller. I'm working on getting into land speed events, and the big trend there is to try to do more with less. It isn't that hard to go 200 with a blown big block. But to go much faster is a real safety issue and you can spend a lot more time and money trying to make sure you don't die than you do trying to go fast. I think the guys who are going 150-200 with 1.5ci are having JUST as much fun as the guys trying to go 400 with 500ci. And they are doing it cheaper and safer. Don't knock your little engine.