HybridZ

280ZX Brake Pads

Guest EnthuZiast

Guest EnthuZiast

Alright, here's the deal:

I'm replacing my rear brake pads currently and have successfully removed the old pads. I'm following the Chilton's Manual and it's not a whole lot of help except on generals. Now, I'm ready to put the new pads in, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it....any help would be apreciated greatly.

Thanks in advance,

Noah

Guest greimann

To get the new and thicker rear pad in, you will need to retract the rear caliper pistons into the body, but the trick is they screw in rather than just push in. I think there is a special tool available for this, but if you are careful you can do it with a screwdriver. A Haynes manual is a much better guide.

If you remove the outer 'hangar' and put some brake fluid lube on the dust seal, you can likely grabe the piston face edge with channel lock pliers or similar and then just progressively rotate it back into it's bore.......when first doing this watch to see if the dust seal rotates freely with it.....if not DON"T rotate it farther or you'll tear the dust seal...work it back and forth to free it up and once free then rotate the piston back in fully...save yourself a rebuild assuming the caliper was working fine before.

Their is cube shaped tool with various pin combos to rotate various pistons in that I use with ratchets for good used calipers I've shipped (I retract them all to save customers the hassle). But for your own use pliers or a Robertson screwdriver will work fine. It is worth taking the hangar off (two bolts) to use pliers as they won't slip in the annoying way you may find a screwdriver to.

Good luck! Be sure to bed in your new pads appropriately. I went thru 280ZX front pad/rotors very fast until I swapped to KVR's.....after that warping stopped and rotor wear was greatly reduced with all other functions greatly improved. If you're working them hard and have similar issues let me know and we can put the fine KVR pads on their and solve your wear issues.

Guest EnthuZiast

Okay, here's what I've done so far:

I removed the pins holding the pads and managed to pry the pads out. From what everything I have read, it seems that I did it a little different than everyone else. So, I'm not sure what exactly I should be doing now. I can't get to the piston because the brake is blocking it. I think I am right to assume that I should be removing the whole caliper assembly by taking out the 2 bolts on the back side. I've been struggling to get rid of these two bolts. So, any help would be great.

All you need to do is rotate the piston back into the caliper and the pads shoud slide right in. On the back of the pads, there will be a stump that needs to slide into the slot on the piston. You will see what im talking about when you look at the piston.

Screw the piston in, clockwise, line up the slots to accept pads, slide the pads in, and put the pins in.

You dont need to remove the caliper bracket unless you are removing the caliper itself.

good luck

Guest EnthuZiast

Right on, thanks a lot. One last thing, though.

Is there any good way to make the piston turn? Because, I'm having a heck of a time getting it to do anything.

Thanks a lot, everyone.

-Noah