HybridZ

Coyote in my back yard!!

jerryb

Single animal only, neighbor's shih tzu is toast, multiple in a pack, your dog is toast. They get into a "tussle", rabies shots or who knows what.

They are predators but like their human counterparts they look for an easy kill. If they have to expend too much energy for what they think they're going to gain, they'll look elsewhere unless they're near starving.

I grew up around coyotes and never saw or heard of one killing a dog that was around their same size. Cats, possums, cute little dogs, etc...yes. They can be aggressive if they are hungry enough, but my experience is that they are mostly scavengers. They scare deer pretty well, too, but what doesn't? I'd say keep an eye and ear out for roving packs of coyotes. If you don't notice them hanging around your house all of the time your dog isn't very interesting to them and you have nothing to really worry about.

Well, I've lost 2 dogs to coyotes, coyotes run in packs and 4 on 2 isn't much of a fight, they kill dogs and cats on a regular basis. I've personally watched a pack of 5 coyote chasing deer and eventually catching one before my 6.5 x 300 weatherby mag splattered one of the 5 all over the hillside.

We have wolves here, introduced by environmentalists, it is a huge disaster with pets, livestock, etc, getting killed all the time. Wolves relocated when they become a problem. All of this at a huge expense to all taxpayers no less.

Anyone who has hunted wolves and coyotes will tell you that coyotes are around because of an inherent fear of humans developed by people shooting at them. In some areas, coyotes are almost tame, but that would change if lead was flying. Wolves on the other hand are not scared of humans. I encountered wolves in Wyoming while hunting horseback and had them follow me for about 1/2 mile. Never seen a coyote do that.

Consequently I have the top of the line foxpro game call, remote control decoy and I hunt coyotes year round.