HybridZ

Stock Turbine Housing Re-bored For Stage 3 Wheel

Kash

I would like to get my turbine housing bored out to accept a stage 3 turbine wheel to mate with my new T3/T04E hybrid so that I can maintain my stock wastegate and 3†downpipe. I have been searching for quite awhile and only found one lead that did not checked out (from Jason REDZ31.com site).

Does anyone have a source or recommendation for getting this kind of work done? Thanks in advance.

Ken

Guest AeLadyZ

*Turbonetics quit offering the service 3 years ago(I had a batch of 6 z31 t3's done up)

*Arizona Tracor Supply(Joel) was using a local machine shop, but has since quit offering the service for some reason(probably the hassle and not enough fair mark-up involved)

*The most recent place I can recomend is Mike from Mike Turbo Inc. He has helped many people out including Rick88ss from z31performance and my husband (Dan-TSS).

Contact information here....it's best to call him in the mid A.M. hours.

http://www.miketurboinc.com/

Mary

Aelady, Thanks for the lead; however, I finally heard back from the lead I got from the Turbonetics guys..."Deeds Performance" out in Cali. They are charging $200 including the return shipping and a two day turn around.

Letitsnow, I need to retain my stock internal wastegate housing for my custom 3" downpipe.

Got the turbo yesterday, looks really great with the polished compressor housing (T04E .60 ar/ 50 trim) and a very large stage III wheel, should be good for about 400hp I'm hoping. Will post a few pics when the rebored turbine housing returns.

A stage 3 turbine will start boosting at 3000 and hit full boost by 3500. Not the best for a stock cam that quits pulling by 5000. An increase in cam duration should go along with that turbine upgrade. I would at least install a 75 to 80 NA cam for another 500 rpms of useable power.

The NA is still a small cam, you shouldn't feel any difference. However, since boost will be delayed, your car will feel slower on the street. That hard kick at 2800 rpms will not happen until 3500, which makes the car feel like a dog.

I went through the same process. Switched turbos without swapping the cam and the car lost all low speed torque due to turbo lag and ran out of cam earlier (short power band). sure it ran better on boost, but the loss of the low rpm boost was a big problem for me. So, I installed a MSA stage 1 turbo cam and increased the rpm range. Yes, it is faster now, but I miss the stock turbine. Next time, I'm leaving the turbine alone since I drive on the street most of the time (no more time to race it). Or maybe try a turbine a little closer to the stock setup.

The nice thing about the stage 3 is while driving on the highway. It runs about 10 inhg of vacuum going down the road at 80 mph. The stock turbine was about to start boosting at 3000 rpms. I could hardly drive over 80 without the boost coming on. However, the stage 3 requires a down shift to pass where the stock turbine did not.

I hope you have better results than I did. For the track the stage 3 is the way to go, for a pure street car, I'm not sure. I would have less lag with an aftermarket efi system with ignition timing control.