HybridZ

Supercharging the VG30E

lsdengines

I did a bit of searching and found tons of info on l engines, but came up a little dry looking for the vg's. I'm not asking how, I know it will be fab intensive, that is not a problem. I am looking for pics to get different mounting ideas for the vg30e. Also, does the frontier/xterra s/c manifold bolt on? That would probably be the easiest way. Any links to pics would be appreciated.

thanks.

I believe the VG33ER plenum will bolt on to the VG30E... however... one thing you want to be aware of is the stock VG33ER supercharger is an M62, which is a bit small for a 3 liter V6. An M90 would be a much better choice if you're wanting to go the s/c route and looking for a decent amount of power. Another thing to keep in mind is the setup will be pretty tall so you'll probably need a hood scoop or cowl "induction" hood to clear.

The only other alternative mounting setup I've seen was one mounted to the side of the engine clocked 90° (body of s/c vertical) with piping routed to the intake. I've seen some pictures of it but I'll have to search for them again. They may have been posted at the http://www.vgpowered.com forums.

Here's a picture of a Z31 with, I believe, an M90 (though it looks more like an M62 to me).

scz31.jpg

scz312.jpg

• Administrators

Mtcookson,

How feasible do you think it would be to leave the intake manifold base on the VG30E and fab a new, short, upper plenum to accept the M-90? It should be much lower overall than the one pictured here, possibly only a couple inches taller than an N/A plenum overall maybe?

Or build a water to air intercooler into that new upper manifold, would be little a taller, yet allow for more boost?

What are your thoughts, any other ideas?

Well... the only problem I could see is I don't think there is much room for improvement in the upper plenum design (refer to VG33ER pictures below). Fitment wise... the only proper way I can think of in getting the setup a lot lower would be to make a custom lower plenum instead with very short runners. It would start getting quite tight with the injectors and such but I'm pretty confident you could drop the setup a least a couple inches with a custom lower.

Here are a couple pictures I just found of the VG33ER intake and S/C on a VG30E from here: http://www.club-s12.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16826

P1010177.JPG

VG33ER "upper plenum":

P1010182.JPG

• 1 year later...

hey now i own a 87 300ZX non turbo...need to know what exactly it takes to mount a vg33er supercharger from a 02 xterra onto my engine and make it run right without changing the computer...wanting to use the least amount of electronics on it as possible.....also need to know the difference in the cams .crank,stroke timing,,etc. thanks guys...if you can help reply here or shoot me an email at scampbell0093@yahoo.com

I believe the VG33ER plenum will bolt on to the VG30E... however... one thing you want to be aware of is the stock VG33ER supercharger is an M62, which is a bit small for a 3 liter V6. An M90 would be a much better choice if you're wanting to go the s/c route and looking for a decent amount of power. Another thing to keep in mind is the setup will be pretty tall so you'll probably need a hood scoop or cowl "induction" hood to clear.

The only other alternative mounting setup I've seen was one mounted to the side of the engine clocked 90° (body of s/c vertical) with piping routed to the intake. I've seen some pictures of it but I'll have to search for them again. They may have been posted at the www.vgpowered.com forums.

Here's a picture of a Z31 with, I believe, an M90 (though it looks more like an M62 to me).

scz31.jpg

scz312.jpg

1987 300ZX 5sp non turbo.id like some info from you guys....wanting to put an 02 xterra VG33ER supercharger on my motor,without any change to the electronics in my vehicle...its completely stock no modifications except to move the airbox to the bottom of the chin..whats the differences in cams,crank, timing, heads and assemblies.also whats the difference in the supercharger from a standard and automatic????the one i have is from an auto but i own a five speed,,not interested in changing that....can i just bolt the thing on and change a couple of plugs???hurtin for info here guys....people at nissan just looked at me like i was nuts....my eventual plan is a lotmore complicated but this is the thing i have to start with.....thanks

1987 300ZX 5sp non turbo.id like some info from you guys....wanting to put an 02 xterra VG33ER supercharger on my motor,without any change to the electronics in my vehicle...its completely stock no modifications except to move the airbox to the bottom of the chin..whats the differences in cams,crank, timing, heads and assemblies.also whats the difference in the supercharger from a standard and automatic????the one i have is from an auto but i own a five speed,,not interested in changing that....can i just bolt the thing on and change a couple of plugs???hurtin for info here guys....people at nissan just looked at me like i was nuts....my eventual plan is a lotmore complicated but this is the thing i have to start with.....thanks guys