HybridZ

T5 estimate....

ZR8ED

I read in my eariler post a responce that mentioned a "world class T5 from a 88 or newer v8 car 26 spline not the 14 spline"

What type of cars might I find this in, and how much should I pay for a used one?

I feel like a little kid with these Q's. I know a hell of a lot about Z motors, but near squat about chev stuff.

Thanks guys.

Scott.

Guest Anonymous

ZR8ED,

Those 5-speed trannys came in V8 Camaros, Firebirds or Trans Am's...they are pretty easy to get. Prices range anywhere from $100 to $700 depending on where you get them. I found mine for $150 in a wrecked Camaro sitting behind a paint and body shop.

Lee

------------------

260Z, 327, T5, JCR California Z

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/ripnshred.html

Thanks for the info...

But so far I'm having difficulty finding that type of tranny...Is there anything wrong with the older style 5spds??? I seem to have no real problem locating 84,85,86 and even 87's..

Do they not fit?

Are they weak?

Poor ratios?

Time is still on my side to find the 88+ 5spd, I'm just wondering on other options if I run into trouble...

Scott.

All my research with owners of T5s, transmision shops, etc. says stay away from the older models. I saw a pile of gear shafts from the older model. They are pretty weak, not to mention their bearings are also smaller. The world class has a marginally stronger shaft and bigger bearings. A friend of mine still tore up his 2 day old WC T5 in a 5.0 camaro. There are some T5 builders that swear their's are stronger. Jim Biondo is pretty good testament with his 550hp+ 130mph+ 1/4 mile Z. His builder, Liberty Gears has an address in an earlier post. There's another, www.gearzone.net/t5.htm that builds new cases with a counter shaft retainer, much stronger than stock. He also says if you drag race the trans, it will die. These after market builders charge about $1,200-1500 for their trans. The price range is getting close for a good used beefier T56. Look at what you might be wanting for power down the road. I don't want to knock the WCT5 too much. For a lower hp application, it has great ratios and is extremely light. It just can't take a lot of abuse for long.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 22, 2000).]