HybridZ

T-5 bell housings

Guest Fast Frog

Guest Fast Frog

Yo guys!!

The light suddenly went on!! When I built my 383 ZV8 5yrs ago, I must have inadvertantly purchased a late model Camaro bell housing-the one with the 15 degree slant to it. When I mounted the shifter, I had to drastically shim up the driver's side of the shifter so the whole thing wouldn't stick out of the side of the trans tunnel into my leg!!

What model/year GM bell housing would straighten out this problem so my shifter mounts flat and comes straight up through the shifter opening in the trans tunnel??? confused.gif

Dang it Frog. I was just looking at the bellhousing. 84-88 Corvette. Saw it in one of my chevy catalogs. This will straighten up the shifter, but then you have a tilted trans crossmember mount. A S-10 WCT5 tailshaft will put that back level with the world, but no speedo hook up. I'll keep looking for the part #. I thought the JTR manual said the tilt was a good thing for the Z. Put the shifter in a good spot. Surely others here are running the T5. What have you done?

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited June 13, 2000).]

John Scott is right on - I use the 84-88 Corvette in my Z with the Camaro 14 degree T-5. I heated up the shift lever with a torch and bent it straight. The shift lever comes right up through the stock hole in the tunnel and console. I needed the speedo so I had two choices - build a wedge for the trans mount or bend the trans mount at the 14 degree angle. Decided that a small wedge was the best way because it would make playing with driveshaft angles simplier.

I use the stock Corvette slave cylinder and a Tilton (Wilwood now I think) 7/8" master cylinder. Then I had the local Aeroquip shop make up a SS line to go between the two. I think the Corvette setup is much better and cleaner than the Camaro version.

Guest Fast Frog

Thanks guys!!

I thought about heat treating the shifter lever when I was installing it. But decided on shimming the shifter bracket.

Question for SpeedRacer. When you torched and bent the shifter lever, did it burn or damage the hard rubber connecting boot on the trans end of the shifter?? I think that's why I didn't do it 5 yrs ago.