HybridZ

strange cold driving issue?

lsdengines

I haven't starting looking yet, just wandering if this was a common thing with a quick easy fix.

So I was driving my 85 na this morning, and noticed that in first gear under light throttle, the power just suddenly dropped. I droved it hard for a sec and it was fine. Then when I was leaving work today, I started it, and it idled rough and died. I started it again, and just kinda played with the gas pedal to keep it running for a sec. I left, and again, in first gear under very light throttle, its like the power suddenly cuts out, it continues to accelerate, just no power though. It goes away as quickly as it comes though. It has the digital dash, and by the time the temp gets up to the third bar, it is fine. It idles dead steady at 700.

Any ideas? I'll start investigating tommorrow.

Thanks.

try replacing the cylinder head temperature sensor. that unit can cause the type of problem you see. Relatively easy to replace. Check the web someone posted a procedure for this. basically you stick a screw driver down there and bust off the plastic connector you can then unscrew the unit. I was able to install a new unit with a deep socket and wobble type extension. Check the wiring up to the connector for melted/hardened insulation. if bad I would cut the connector off put in new wires and use either bullet or flat connectors. the connector to the CHTS is the same as the injector connector. you need to remove fan shroud and fan to do this. I have done this on two turbo engines and it made quite a difference in running smooth on both engines at any temperature. Sounds like the ecu doesn't know what temp the engine is at if it runs fine when hot. I also found on one engine that the thermostat was shot and she never got to correct temp.

that sounds logical. So there are two sensors, one for the ecu and one for the gauge.

If this helps any, this morning, I changed the oil, and installed a new oil filter, cleaned up some of the wiring, and the stumble and die upon startup has gotten better, but the loss of power is still there. I will check that out on my next day off. Thanks.