HybridZ

Big price difference between T56 transmissions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Psyence,

Last night after getting off of the forum I searched for that Mustang I read about and I finally found it this morning.

The website is www.slowgt.com . It appears I gave some false information in my previous post. The T5 the fella had in the Mustang failed at 3rd gear (T5s have this reputation because of a difficult shift from 2nd to 3rd). He did have over 300 passes on the trans before it let go, however, they were in the 11.50 range and not the 9's. Still impressive that it lasted that long. He then switched to a TKO that was doing fine in the car before he switched to a Jerico.

I don't know that much about these transmissions, obviously, only what I have read on the web, in magazines and learned from the folks here on the board.

I know there are some Ford hi-performance suppliers offering brand new TKOs for ~$1,400.00.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

The TKO is definitely also in consideration for me. 6 gears is not very important to me actually (this is basically gonna be a race car/street rod.... not a GT cruiser). The price and weight savings over a T56 are definite pluses. However, the torque rating for the TKO is all over place after I looked around on the Net. I have seen as low as 350 and all the way up to to 525 ft/lbs. What's up with that? Are there official specs anywhere?

Finally, if the torque rating is up to snuff, I was wondering how difficult the transmission is to put in... hopefully easier than the T56?

Thanks

Max

[This message has been edited by Psyence (edited June 18, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Pysence:

I have noticed the same things with the torque ratings. Maybe someone else can help us out with those stats as I am also considering a TKO or T56.

I believe the TKO is a bolt in swap for T5s but I am not completely sure. I have not researched it that much. I believe Pete may have a TKO in his car so he may know more about the subject.

Please post whatever information you find.

Thanks,

Chris

See my response to the thread "TKO???" at http://24.4.88.44/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000066.html in this forum.

I have the TR-3550, also made by Tremec (before they bought BW transmissions). It is the little sister, torque-wise to the TKO. It bolts up the same though. It is a T-5 replacement, and a few make it in a GM form factor, if you need that. See my site for details on how I did the install. http://members.home.net/pparaska/TremecInfo.htm .

Not a lot of detail on how to do it, but note that the Tremec TR-3550 and TKO are "straight-up" trannies, that is, they don't have the 17 degree slant of the rear trans mount pad. In other words they bolt up like a Muncie or T-10. I used a straight up blow proof bellhousing and the JTR crossmember with a spacer to raise the rear of the trans for the Ford rubber mount I used.

One thing to note is that the stock shifter is known to be not so hot. A Pro 5.0 shifter is supposedly much better.

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited October 21, 2000).]

Pro 5.0 shifters ARE much better - the stock shifter, even the "short" stock shifter are junk.

Still, with a Pro 5.0 my Tremec is so notchy I cannot speedshift 3rd gear without hitting 5th. given a choice I'd go with a T56 and in fact am doing just that. If I like it well enough I may even break down and have a T56 swapped into my Mustang. I hate the Tremec and have even had mine rebuilt with little to no improvement.