HybridZ

Will a T5 bolt to an LT1

Guest brad

Guest Frank280z

Theres a guy running up here with a 454ci mated to a T5 in a pro street 65 Stang. I'll be nice to the Ford enthusuists and keep quiet for now....

Frank

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it.

The input shafts are of different lengths, with the ford being longer. Even different year ford T5s had different lengths. Splines on input and out put shafts are different than Chevy as well. I would suppose with the right adapters....all for 25 lb/ft or so more torque capacity?

JS

I've not ever seen different length T5 input shafts - where did you hear that? Maybe the 94-95 cars but I don't think so since I've seen older transmissions and even Tremecs go in there.

As for th etorque rating. That most has to do with gear ratios it seems. The lower the gear in first the more torque the motor can apply to the assembly and the LESS power it can handle I believe.

Stock Mustangs can EASILY break a T5, why would you want to use one behind a healthy V8? Seriously, I don't have much love for the T5 having seen many of them broken. I don't much like the Tremec either :-) The T45 is also less than desireable and is breaking pretty readily too behind Cobra motors. the hot lick for the Cobras, especially those with independant rears, is thre T56. Bolts right in with the stock driveshaft :-)

As to the wisdom of putting one behind a big block - I have no idea how he did that! You sure it's not a Liberty or somesuch? One good stomp and it ought to break into many pieces. Ford big blocks make torque when built correctly - something smells funny there.

CC/June/2000: " '94-95 Ford inputshaft is about 7/8" longer than the 83-94....The correct bellhousing or adapter plate is required.

Dimensional data:

GM: Bellhousing depth: 6.290" Input shaft length 6.66"

Ford: Bellhousing: 6.78" and 7 11/32", Input shaft 7.18"/7.85"

Case to mounting pad are in different locations too. I've seen the Tremecs used too. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think its a direct bolt in.

JS

JS

Wow, 7/8ths is a pretty decent amount! I'll ask my Mustang mechanic about it. I knew about the GM "twist" - ick! The T5 is a pretty smooth shifting trans but after seeing so many broken including mine I just didn't want to throw money away on one with this car...