HybridZ

Major Help Needed Guys

Guest Frank280z

Guest Frank280z

Just got my driveshaft back from the shop. Installed it. Now another problem. My bright idea of using the datsun slave cyl. didn't pan out like I would have liked it to. There is not enough clutch release. Can't even put it in gear. How much travel does a clutch fork need? Muncie/ centerforce dual setup. Does antbody know of a slave cly. that can bolt in place of the datsun? I have a couple bucks into the bracket. How about the 4+3s cyl? That bolts from the side. Always something!! Isn't it??!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Frank

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it.

I too plan on using a Muncie(so far!), and will be using a Hydraulic Through-out bearing, from McCleod. Theirs is self adjusting, although more expensive than the Howe unit in Jegs. A Circle Track Racing customer showed this setup to me and it's worth the extra, as I see it. One line to the bearing, and a bleeder line out of the fork opening-no brackets or mods. I think some others here are using this set-up already, any insight from them would help.

Guest Frank280z

Ok. I bleed the clutch assy. again. Adjusted the linkage. Now it will go throught he gears. But will not release all the way for complete engagement. Back and forth in the driveway. Slipping in first. Not stalling when let out with the brake pedal down. But it will stall in rev. if I do the same method. Centerforce says 500mi. of stop and go without full throttle for correct clutch breakin. Any input guys?? I'm really hurtin' for ideas.

Frank

Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone.

I just completed a V8 conversion and had a similar problem with the clutch release.I have a T5 with chev slave cyl and 3/4 master cyl as JTR recommended and did not have enough release. I noticed on my car (71 240) that there is a metal piece with rubber on it under the clutch pedal. I removed both so the pedal now goes right to the floor and the clutch now works great.

I first put a 1" Tilton master cylinder on my car with the Corvette type hydraulic setup. I didn't like how fast the clutch grabbed so I changed to a Tilton 3/4" version and took out the stop that John B mentioned. Works great know.

The master cylinder was used for less than 50 miles. If it will help and you want it, I'll sell for $35.00 including shipping. Just let me know.

Guest Fast Frog

Frank:

I had a similiar problem when I installed my WC T-5 a few yrs ago. However, I used a stock GM Camaro slave cyl and it wouldn't release the clutch all the way. When I started it in the winter, I had to put it in neutral so I wouldn't move the car when starting. I blamed the slave cyl but learned that my problem was the Tilton master cyl. I had followed the JTR manual to the letter and had installed a 3/4" Tilton. I found out later that the 3/4" was to small so I went to a 13/16 Corvette size and the problem was cured. This may not be your problem. You might just have to go with a GM slave cyl-there's up to a 1/4" more throw than a Datsun slave cyl.

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited July 12, 2000).]

Guest Frank280z

I was thinking of the master but... I also failed to check the amount of gear oil I have in the transmission. I'm jumping the gun. Again if anybody knows of a slave that would bolt the same way a datsun does; please reply. My bracket is already made up. BTW thanks for all the help so far guys.

Frank

------------------

Guest Frank280z

Hey guys, The clutch dissengages fine now. I removed the stopper under the pedal. But it still slips. Will a h.d. return spring

work? Couldn't hurt to try. Right?

Frank

------------------

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Frank280z

Well I replaced the stock Datsun 5/8" unit with a Tilton 1" from Dick Goodman. Thanks Dick. It works great. And it does grab a bit quick. But I think I could live with that. So for now that part is done. Now to get it down to the exhaust shop....

Frank

------------------

Guest Fast Frog

Pete:

I'm not sure what year Corvette.

I had this same problem that Frank280Z had with clutch engagement so I called Mike Knell of JTR. He told me to try the 13/16" MC, "the type that are used in Corvettes" quote unquote. I did and my problem was solved. I also removed the rubber pad from the clutch pedal stop but that did not cure the problem.