HybridZ

quick yes/no question about what the AFM does

HeatRaveR

I have a quick yes/no question about what the AFM does on the L28ET (specifically, the '82, if it makes any difference). I know that it contains a flapper and air temp sensor that sends input to the ECCS for purposes of fuel injection metering. My big yes/no question is this: do those AFM signals play any part in the functioning of the *ignition timing* or emissions equipment (ie EGR)?

My impression is that it's only there for purposes of the fuel injectors, but I need to be sure.

• Administrators

Any and every single part of the EFI is part of the emission, according to federal law.

Regardless of federal law, the OE EFI needs the AFM to as it helps the ECU know how much air it is breathing so the ECU can match the air that is entering the engine with the correct amount of fuel, (i.e. keep the air fuel ratio in a range the engine will run).

At the bottom of this link is the EFI Bible. Haven’t read it myself, but it seems to be getting good reviews here. Also on that page are other links pertaining to the factory EFI.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/EFI&fuel.htm

Good luck,

Paul