HybridZ

Upgraded Twins? or Large Single?

mattyice

Alright on my RB26 ive decided to keep it at or under 600 HP this year and then next year pull the block and build it. so im going to get everything ready besides the bottom end and just have to build that over the winter, but onto my turbo choices, garrett and turbonetics are out of the question...new technology is available and they arent using it...I'm going with Borg Warner Extended Tip Turbos no questions asked the best performing turbos and the closest anyone could get to a perfect turbo, on a size to size comparison with garrett turbos, the BW ones spool faster and have better top end

So my question...

Upgrade to twin BW S252 (GT2871 comparable) with each one making out around 450 but spooling faster then its comparable garrett turbo

or Large Single BW S366 (GT42R comparable) spools faster makes more HP, a .82 exhaust will make about 950

What do you guys think? overall i know the twins will look better and perform just as good on the car

Do you want to go single for the lag? Or is it just too complicated to work on? If I could just get a few opinions from you on why

If I would have stayed with the orig twin manifolds and associated plumbing, then going twin would not have been as bad. But since I had to have all custom :roll: , that made things fit much harder. There is just to much stuff to cram into that small area going with top mount twins.

Going with a top mount single (especially with a custom header) allows you to fit and run Any size single turbo you want. You will have a lot less heat too.

I don't mind a little wait for a big single to come onto song. No wait (lag) = nice grin on face. Short wait (lag) = huge grin on face :eek:

If I would have stayed with the orig twin manifolds and associated plumbing, then going twin would not have been as bad. But since I had to have all custom :roll: , that made things fit much harder. There is just to much stuff to cram into that small area going with top mount twins.

Going with a top mount single (especially with a custom header) allows you to fit and run Any size single turbo you want. You will have a lot less heat too.

I don't mind a little wait for a big single to come onto song. No wait (lag) = nice grin on face Short wait (lag) = huge grin on face :eek:

haha believe me i understand lag... i had a 61mm turbo on my neon SRT-4 :D

the twin turbos are going to be custom one off Borg Warner ET turbos if they were twins so that would help, im not going with too large of turbos...looking for turbos that would max out total at 900 HP and then i could dial in below that to make sure the turbos are safe

the single big turbo will also be a custom built Borg Warner unit maxing out at a similar amount of power

i know this sounds kind of ricey but i like the way twin turbos look in there and with a manifold that is header wrapped and nice custom heat shields built by me...i think it would look good but would it perform the way i want...im not sure

thanks but i am already talking to a local tuner about getting me some custom Borg Warner units made, the twins we are planning right now would top out at about 430 each, but a single one on a 2.4L engine will spool almost instantly so two of those would be awesome, on the other hand we are looking at a single turbo that will max out about 900 and has proven to put down over 517 HP at 17 PSI