HybridZ

VQ35DE Rev-Up Heads on non-Rev-Up Engine?

jeffneal66

Good luck with the after market ECM... youll end up with a 2500 dollar computer that still doesn't work as good as the factory unit.

I would get the ECU and engine harness for the year heads your wanting to run. You'll need the engine harness, dash harness, ECM, BCM, NATS antennea, and a key from the 350z. And there is a way to get it running. But if I told ya how I'd have to shoot you ;)

Thanks for the replis, guys. Here is what I found out: YES, the Rev-Up cylinder heads will bolt onto a non-Rev-Up engine. You just have to get the connectors for the additional cam control circuits.

This is an engine which will be going into a race only car, and I have not fully evaluated the stock ECU route. But I don't want a large amount of extra wiring in the car just to make it work, plus I would still end up adding a piggy back type of controller to the stock ECU.

My reasoning for trying to go with the Rev-Up heads, is to get the additional power available in stock form, and to give me an extra set of cylinder heads for back up, and to maybe allow me to mill the heads to get the compression up. I will need to check the valve to piston clearance before acting on this one. Does anyone have any input here?

There are 3 aftermarket EMC's which will control both cams, but not the drive by wire. They are Haltech, Autronic, and AEM. There may be more, but this is what I know so far. They are all in the $2500 price range, complete.

The Haltech and AEM ECM's have good base programming already avaliable. The Autronic ECM should be ready in another month or two.

• 8 months later...

Yes, I was looking at cams as well, but at $1200 - $1500 for cams and springs, that isn't going to happen very soon.

I think I am going to get the engine in the car as get it sorted out before tyring to switch heads/cams.

It has been great watching EMWHYR0HEN's build! I hope to have enough money saved up to get my engine in during the 2009 winter season. I didn't get all of the wiring I need to run the stock ECU so I either have to find another donor, or go with an aftermarket ECM.

• 14 years later...