HybridZ

scattershields- sort of

Guest scca

every where has different rules but in SCCA/roadracing there is supposed to be at least a 1/8"(mine is 3/16) plate bolted to the shifter tunnel inline with the clutch /flywheel assy so it cant take your foot off if it explodes.

i dont know NHRA rules that well but i believe they require a shield or a blanket over the tranny.

i saw one car lately that had a tunnel made of 1" billet plate alum. nice and lite and as strong as 1/4" steel. that will be what i do in the next car i build.

also everyone should consider a driveshaft loop front and rear to prevent it from escaping they are easy to make and more likely to break than the clutch assy. and does a hell of a lot of damage when it thumps around in the tunnel without any guides to control it

------------------

Mike

http://www.fonebooth.com

raceparts and brakeupgrades

Scottie, time is really precious, so I'll decline on making one. It should be made with the car available anyway, as it's a tight fit. I was underneath the car probably two dozen times as I made it up. But with a template of mine it should be easy to fit to any Z. The layout of the trans, etc. is critical for getting it right. I'd suggest making the loop part first and measuring for the mountinf arms after that. I can scan in a dimensioned template and put it on my web site. I'll post to this forum when it's up.

I have a full scale sketch of my drveshaft loop with some dimensions on my website at:

http://members.home.net/pparaska/image/drivelinemods/loopsketch96.gif

Scottie, I hope that helps. I wish I could make one for you, but I'm afraid it'd be wrong without having your car where I am making it. My shared welder is about to return to the other half owner for a while as well (sniff).