HybridZ

T-5

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have just received and installed (temporarily) a 280ZX Turbo T-5 in my 240Z GT-2 SCCA race car, (we set the engine back almost 4 inches and lowered the trans/engine package about one inch). We are limited to 5 speeds. I am going to take the trans. to the Gear Zone (http://www.gearzone.net/) and have it modified with close ratio, straight cut gears, dog engagement and World class upgrades. Has any one done anything similar? If so how did it work out?

Can't help you with the tranny, sorry. but I am very interested in hearing about your engine setback! Do you have pictures at all?

If you've driven the car since it has been done, how much of an improvement did you notice in handling? Have you weighed all 4 corners before/after the movement?

Interesting idea to say the least...

------------------

"THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE OIL OF THE NON-BELIEVERS"

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

it would probably be cheaper to buy a new wc t5 from summit.the splines on input shaft are different but if you put a mustang cluth disc in it it would work or have a disc made up.the wc t5 ratios are about the same as 82 83 zx trans.ihavent tried to bolt a wc trans to a zxt bell housing though but it should work.

Guest Anonymous

Hey Drax, No haven't driven the car yet, just completed the setback yesterday (Wed.) so no photos. Will remedy that situation soon. I will do a complete chassis setup just before I take it to Sebring for a regional race at the end of October. I have just installed a new L28 Turbo block with E31 head, big valves, triple 45 Webers, crankfire ignition, 13.5 to one JE pistons. This coupled with the new trannie and a 4:11 rear gear should make me pretty competitive with a 914-6 in the FL Region championship in November (we are tied for the points lead now). The only problem was thet I had to remove the brake booster (went to a GM truck MC, and completely change the throttle control. I am using a Ford AODE kickdown cable for a throttle cable.

Randy, The main reason for going to straight cut gears and dog engagement is to make it a clutchless transmission. The ratios are all fairly high with .90 fifth gear, an ideal setup for racing. Not so hot on the street though. Thanks for your reply, and if you have any ideas, I am open to suggestions. This is a GREAT Forum.

------------------

I may be OLD and I try to act like a lady,

but I aint from Pasadena and I don't drive no Darn Dodge.

Guest Anonymous

Krys,

I recently saw a T5 with straight cut gears for sale on the web for ~$500.00. For the life of me I can't remember what site it was on...I'll try to find it and post it for you if I can.

How much of an increase in torque handling capability are you looking at by going to the straight cut gears? If I remember correctly, I believe in the add I saw the guy selling the T5 said that it was rated at 500+ft lbs...

Chris

Run, do not walk, to Hanlon Motorsports!

This guy does T5 transmissions for the Mustang guys and also does a great deal of Tremec work. He rebuilt my Tremec in the Mustang and did an excellent job. I took th etrans to him in PA personally and waited while he stripped it down - impressive to watch! He found tons wrong, fixed it quickly, and offered me good condition used parts whenwhere it made sense.

He's run T5s in drag competition for a good while and is running a Tremec now - he races what he sells. He's done the modification you've described on both the Tremec and T5. He could probably juggle the gear ratios for you and fit in WC parts where strength might be an issue.

Seriously, I respect this guy and he insists on racing with what he sells even when he knows an automatic might make sense. He does this simply to find out what breaks :-)

He can be reached at 610-469-2695 and his WEB site is www.hanlonmotorsports.com Bob worked for a bigtime engine builder and did trannies part time last I spoke to him, I think he's now doing it full time. Knows lot's of tricks...