HybridZ

LSD swap

Arif

Lesson learned.....

I have a 280Z that was a automatic until I swapped it for a 5spd tranny. I was told that I had a r180 diff. along with all the normal parts you would have to replace when installing a LSD. After spending 3 hours in a junk yard pulling parts I thought I needed.

When I got home and compared the front diff mount, rear transverse link mount and companion flanges, they were all the SAME!!! Seems like (my car atleast) the only difference between the r180 and r200 were the diffs. All the other parts were the same. Thank God I didn't remove those companion flanges. Anyway just food for thought for anyone trying this conversion with an auto tranny 280Z. I should have it back together tomorrow minus the rear brace since I decided to keep the large capacity cover.

Does anyone have a set of R200 companion flanges for sale? If so please email me. Also does anyone know of an easy way to remove the R180 flanges?[/quote}

Arif, sorry if I misled you, but your post implied you had an R180 and you were looking to go to an R200.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

Scottie,

I was not refering to you. I had read a "how-to" post on another web site that stated all the parts I would need to do the swap. It was inaccurate for my car atleast and I just wanted to let anyone else doing this swap to check the parts on their car before spending hours in a junk yard buying parts they don't need. Sorry if you thought I was talking about you.

I don't know if it was my inaccurate or out dated article . I wrote it for my 280z and it probably should be revised later . This was done back in the time when the vast majority told me it could not be done . Can you guys help me revise it for the 240z and clean it up ?? I can then just send it to hybridz.org tech articles .

Clint,

Actually it wasn't your page. My car is a 280 however like I stated earlier it was an automatic (r180) from the factory. After dropping in the LSD the only parts that actually needed to be swapped was the halfshafts with u joints and diff cover if you plan on using the large capacity LSD cover. Not all R180 need to replace the additional parts. 240Z I guess have different hardware.

[This message has been edited by Arif (edited October 30, 2000).]

Uh boy - now I might be confused - surprise! I've got to swap from an R180 ro an LSD R200. For this swap I've acquired a pumpkin and a pinion flange from a 280. Do I need anything else if I'm sticking with the U joints and NOT going to CV yet? I've got an extra set of axles that I believe are also from a 240. Argh!

Sure wish we could figure out and agree the "best" CV conversion. Then we could get together to finance the custom bits :-)

As far as I know, to mount the R200 (saying nothing of the driveshaft) where a R180 was, all you need is the R200 Mustache bar. If you have the early R180 placement (70-some of 71?) you need a new front mount and the piece that goes between the "uprights" that the nice alum one mounts to.