HybridZ

u joints and such

fl327

no, this isnt quite related to my previous post. how do you know if your u-joints are in need of replacement? ive also not had to go under the car too much to check out the componenets of the drivetrain, generally which u-joints should i get to swap them, i think im giong to change them out for piece of mind. i have the sbc swap going, and i doint knwo whether to get chevy or datsun u -joints, im looking at the motorsport spicer heavy duty u-joints and im sure theyre grat, but not sure if they will work of the chevy

driveshaft and what not, thanx again guys....

Guest Anonymous

I've recently done my UJs. In my case, I was hearing a sort of clicking/creaking sound as the car would move off from stand-still. You didn't need to do a hard start to hear it, a v. slow one would do. In fact, a slow start, window open, made it easier to hear... I put the car up on a jack and then tried to move the shafts up and down right near the UJ (both inner and outer) by hand. The outers had slight movement, the inners were OK. I pulled the shafts out and dissassembled them and sure enuf the outers were dry and stuffed but the inners might have lasted a bit longer. But, while they're out.... I guess a side note is that occasional greasing might have helped 'em last longer in my case (blush)....

Hope that helps.