HybridZ

280Z-06: The vision becoming reality!

March 6, 2008: I just got the car back last weekend, so it's assembly time. For those who have known me for a while know that this has been one long and painstakingly slow project. Alas, it seems that I've finally hit the final stretch. I've been doing the R&R on the suspension, cleaning & painting everything and assembly is underway. I'll keep an assembly log here, so here I go.

1-280Z-06_Pics_engine_bay.jpg

1-280Z-06_Pics_side_2.jpg

The goal is to have all the suspension done and engine & trans installed and sitting on the ground. Then I can start doing all the little stuff.

1-280Z-06_Pics_front_wheel.jpg

1-280Z-06_Pics_front_suspension.jpg

1-280Z-06_Rear_Suspension.jpg

1-Differential_R200_LSD_1.jpg

1-CompleteLS6drivetrain6.jpg

Stay tuned for more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the rear suspension in, although I'm still waiting for the CV adapters from Ross, then I can put the axles & rear sway bar in place. This is the first time it has sat on the ground with the new stuff on it. Of course, with out the glass, interior, fuel, hood and all the other stuff, it is sitting a little high, so it looks kinda 4x4 to me. Anyway, I'm getting closer and now just need to keep on it. Any feedback is appreciated. I'm sure there will be plenty of fine tuning and even changes down the road, but I just want to get the thing driving and I'll play with stuff later. :)

Oh, I know that I don't have enough rear tire on it, but these are just the "interim" wheels & tires until I can work on cramming the widest thing under it. ;)

280Z-06 Pics 086 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

280Z-06 Pics 074 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

280Z-06 Pics 075 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

280Z-06 Pics 076 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

280Z-06 Pics 098 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

Well, I took the glass (rear hatch, quarter windows & door) to the tint shop today, so I should be getting them back shortly. I got the new A/C bracket from John @ JCI the other day and installed it. Sure is a nice piece! (just like all his stuff!) More soon!

280Z-06_Pics_109_Medium_.jpg

Well, I installed the wiper assembly & cowl, then had my buddy come over and we put on the hood, inspection lids and aligned everything. I'm still waiting for the rear wing from the body shop, as the painter dropped it when we were loading everything up and had chipped the corner of it. Once the wing is on and the glass is installed, at least it will look a bit more complete.

280Z-06 Pics 123 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

280Z-06 Pics 129 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

280Z-06 Pics 132 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

280Z-06 Pics 128 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got the glass back from the window tint shop and installed the side glass and set the hatch glass in place. I also installed the rear tail light panel & licence plate. Also go around to putting on the MMI billet CV adapters and Z31 CV axles. At least it's looking more complete. I'm still waiting to get my rear wing back from the paint shop. When I picked up the car, the guy dropped the wing and chipped the corner & had to repaint it. It's always something. :)

280Z-06 Pics 163 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

280Z-06 Pics 165 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

280Z-06 Pics 179 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

280Z-06 Pics 178 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Now that I'm working on getting my Z ready for the Datsun Canby meet in a couple months, I've been working on a bunch of the "detail" stuff. Got the transmission cooler lines done, mounted the C5 Vette sheet metal & shifter assembly and the intake plumbing setup. Fun stuff!

280Z-06_Pics_273_Medium_.jpg

1-C5_Shifter.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well, it seems that the little things always take longer than expected. I made up the throttle linkage and got that all working smooth and perfectly....had to make sure it got full throttle. I had the custom throttle bracket made up to work with the stock swivel and a Lockar LS1 throttle cable. With the ported throttle body & Z06 AFM (quite a bit difference as shown below), I want to make sure it can get all the air possible. Almost have the interior done (sans custom dash & climate controls) and will post pics this week.

280Z-06_Pics_292_Medium_.jpg

280Z-06_Pics_290_Medium_.jpg

280Z-06_Pics_287_Medium_.jpg

1-MAF-Z06-Camaro11.jpg

1-throttlebody1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm waiting for the Mobile Glass to come put the windshield in, but once that is done, the car will look like a driver. (at least externally) I'm thinking this will motivate me to finish the wiring and the dash, so I can start driving this thing. Almost done with everything underneath, just need to get the exhaust done. Here are a some pics I snapped today.

280Z-06_Pics_333_Medium_.jpg

280Z-06_Pics_335_Medium_.jpg

280Z-06_Pics_337_Medium_.jpg

280Z-06_Pics_314_Medium_.jpg

280Z-06_Pics_351_Medium_.jpg

280Z-06_Pics_354_Medium_.jpg

• Like 1