HybridZ

which efi?

This has been covered before, however their is a lot of guys running megasquirt here and extensive information. Ms1 will make it even simpler. Plus its very inexpensive so you can get yourself a wideband (highy recommended). These things alone make it worth it!

• Administrators

YES! Aftermarket EMS allows you to tune tout compromise to WOT performance or cruise mileage. The OE EFI is HUGE compromise. The more mods done, the larger the compromise. The OE EFI does NOT play well with aftermarket cams. Being able to get rid of the AFM from the air stream allows all sorts of freedom in induction routing and removes that restriction from he air stream. :wink:

As to which aftermarket EMS to choose? Depends on your budget, your savvy as computer user/customizer, time available for the construction/installation of the EMS.

Here is a listing of the stand alone EMS's…

Click ME for the listing of after-market EMS and the links to those manufactures

Also, search through the different EMS sections here on HybridZ.

Here is my not so humble opinion on a few of the systems.

Megasquirt; Low entry cost, very research intensive regarding figuring it out and setting up a lap top and also somewhat sensitive to EMF, so long as you follow tried and tested procedures to reduce the chances of EMF interference, it works fine. Again, MS requires not much money on initial investment compared to the other stand alones, but you must possess a savvy grasp on PC software, (not just knowing how to turn the computer on and surf the web, much deeper PC geek configuration stuff, or at least the desire to want to learn), and also the patience, time, AND ability to SEARCH and RESEARCH many forums, not just HybridZ, but the other Mega Squirt dedicated forums.

SDS; A bit more costly than Mega Squirt, probably the simplest in terms of it overall architecture compared to the other available EMS's, not as many fine tuning options as the other stand alones, but its simplicity and over all excellent functionality make it an excellent choice, even for full tilt dedicated race cars.

WOLF 3d; in my opinion, the Wolf 3d is the one of the better bang for the buck standalone systems with all it is options, controllability, map blending, resolution, number of supported cylinders for distributor-less ignition, etc. Covers everything from stock engines to full tilt Turbo AND Nitrous fed, staged sequential fuel injected, distributor less ignition, V-8’s and everything in between. I ran Megasquirt on my L-28 last year, bought Wolf 3d for my next V-8Z project. :wink: Currently running Wolf 3D “Direct Fit” in my ’93 Z-32 and LOVE IT! Saving up for another WOLF-3d System because I like its flexibility, user friendliness and overall functionality “that much!” Sure it cost approx 1/4-1/2 as much more than a MS system, but in my not so humble opinion, that extra cost more than covers the headaches endured tinkering/configuring Megasquirt up to the point of start up, for us mere mortals with mild to moderate PC savvy. Again, that is just my personal opinion.

AEM, Haltech, Electromotive; all are well known powerful stand alone EFI systems and each has their strengths, and are all good systems.

To determine which one suites your EFI/ignition needs/requirements and budget, you'll have to determine that on your own. The link above has links to the manufactures of those Engine Management Systems.

Have fun and good luck.